Subject matter --------PLEASE READ--------

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Subject matter --------PLEASE READ--------

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,

It would be in the interest of board harmony to have the Steam Forum reserved exclusively for discussion of the building and operation of steam devices. By observing this request, we will be paying due respect to those who have, for years, enjoyed the Steam Forum, and have observed the requirements regards subject matter. We have contributors on the Steam Forum who have extended knowledge and skills, so we don't want to chase them away by compromising the forum.

Please use the Riding Scale Railroading Forum for posting subjects not steam related. It has been created to honor those who have a wider interest, and have not had a venue in which it could be shared.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Harold

Edited to correct grammar. Thanks to Marv Klotz.
Bill Shields

Question

Post by Bill Shields »

The question that begs to be asked...

If posting something about riding cars, etc that can apply to any type of motive power....put them in Model Railroading, Live Steam or both?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Make it your choice, but do not double post. That is the source of considerable confusion when readers are trying to find a given response. If it appears only in one place, there is no confusion.

If readers are so narrow of mind that they won't read both of the sub-forums, they'll simply have to risk missing what may very well be a good post.

I'm as busy as anyone can be, but I still manage to read every post, every day (the entire forum). Surely those with an interest can read anything posted that remotely relates to their hobby!

The separate forum was created to honor those who have no interest outside of steam. It isn't a perfect solution, but it's safe to say there isn't a perfect solution, so readers are going to have to learn to live with a little inconvenience if we want to serve the needs of the masses.

Harold
Dwight Ennis

Re: Subject matter --------PLEASE READ--------

Post by Dwight Ennis »

Harold_V wrote:Please use the Model Railroading Forum for posting subjects not steam related.
Harold
Where is this forum? I looked but didn't see it anywhere.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Dwight Ennis wrote:
Harold_V wrote:Please use the Model Railroading Forum for posting subjects not steam related.
Harold
IIRC it was renamed to "Riding Scale Railroading"
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dwight Ennis wrote:
Harold
As Chris mentioned, it has been named the Riding Scale Railroading forum. I have edited the original post so it reflects the proper name.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dwight Ennis

Post by Dwight Ennis »

Thanks.
apm

Post by apm »

My apologies for violating this one, I had always had the site in my bookmarks and didn't even realize there was another section. If you want feel free to move the thread. That does beg the question. From my point of view it really seems to be the same hobby and such similar skill sets in a lot of areas, so why do we need 2 forms?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

apm wrote:My apologies for violating this one, I had always had the site in my bookmarks and didn't even realize there was another section. If you want feel free to move the thread. That does beg the question. From my point of view it really seems to be the same hobby and such similar skill sets in a lot of areas, so why do we need 2 forms?
Very simple. Many in the hobby have no interest in anything not steam related. I'm one of them. If I had my own track, I would not permit anything but steam. I am not alone with this posture, as there are clubs that exclude such engines, the Riverside Live Steamers being one of them. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Had a new forum not been created to allow those who have an interest in railroading in general, often not steam related, they wouldn't be able to post on this board at all. Those of us who moderate have a responsibility to the readers to keep the forum on topic. So then, no, it's not all the same. We need two different venues so folks who don't have an interest in non steam related engines don't have to dig through posts to find things of interest. The steam people have every right to not be put upon by a subject that likely has no value to them.

Please keep in mind, the steam forum has been in existence for more than a decade. Readers have come to expect what we do here. To force the whims of others on them would most likely result in a collapse of the forum. By cooperating, posting where it's appropriate, we keep everyone happy.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RET

Post by RET »

Harold,

I haven't read these notes before. Thank you. I appreciate what you do and you have been doing it for a long time.

Richard Trounce.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Richard.
I've enjoyed being involved with the operation of the board, and have not lost sight of the fact that it takes all of us to make it successful.

Harold
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Hear, hear. Thanks for all you do, Harold.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"