Waushakum Steaming bays - 110v power?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

sncf141r

Waushakum Steaming bays - 110v power?

Post by sncf141r »

Hi all;

Question - does the WLS have 110v power in the steaming bays?

I pulled my 3-1/2" gauge SNCF141R off of its stand in the living room (my wifes' idea - bless her) and made sure all worked as planned. The locomotive did, but I had to use a 110v "HO-scale" transformer for my blower power supply; my rechargable battery pack is pretty much toast.

Rather than trying to run around this coming week and work out a new battery arrangement, the transformer worked just fine - I'd like to use it.

I do know they have air (was there in 2001) but I wonder about electricity.

Thanks; See at least some of you there;

JohnS.
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

JohnS-

Yes, Waushakum has 110 vac as well as air and water to the steaming bays.

-Larry
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

JohnS-

You might want to bring an extension cord with you. You may find your blower at one end of the steaming bay and the electrical outlet at the other end.

-Larry
Errol Groff

Post by Errol Groff »

Yes, there is 110 in the steaming bays BUT it is U.S. 110 rather than Canadian 110 so be sure to bring your converter. :D

Errol Groff
Errol Groff

Retired Manufacturing Technology Instructor

Webmaster for New England Model Engineering Society
http://www.neme-s.org
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Errol Groff wrote:Yes, there is 110 in the steaming bays BUT it is U.S. 110 rather than Canadian 110 so be sure to bring your converter. :D

Errol Groff
Is there a difference? Do they have 110?

Most countries have 220 from a single leg, unlike the U.S. where it is two 110 legs.

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

110 v, one leg or split from 220v to ground, it makes no difference, 110v is 110v.
sncf141r

Canadian vs US electricity.

Post by sncf141r »

srrl5 wrote:
Errol Groff wrote:Yes, there is 110 in the steaming bays BUT it is U.S. 110 rather than Canadian 110 so be sure to bring your converter. :D

Errol Groff
David
Yeah, it's metric 110 up here. I have to bring a converter; I have to do this when travelling (I go "south" a few times/year) so I have a few of these kicking around. :lol:

David - its the same all over north america, these guys are just pulling your leg!

Thanks for the answers; will bring along an extension cord; looking forward to the meet;

JohnS.
Bill Shields

Also...

Post by Bill Shields »

A long air hose is very handy, like an extension cord, can never be too long.

I have one of those 'coil up' hoses, and on occasion, it is JUST long enough to get from the fitting to where it is needed.
srrl5

Re: Also...

Post by srrl5 »

Bill Shields wrote:A long air hose is very handy, like an extension cord, can never be too long.
Extension cords can be to long if they are not heavy enough gage wire for the amps being used.

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
srrl5

Re: Canadian vs US electricity.

Post by srrl5 »

sncf141r wrote:
srrl5 wrote:

Errol Groff
David
Yeah, it's metric 110 up here. I have to bring a converter; I have to do this when travelling (I go "south" a few times/year) so I have a few of these kicking around. :lol:

David - its the same all over north america, these guys are just pulling your leg!

Thanks for the answers; will bring along an extension cord; looking forward to the meet;

JohnS.
I have worked in a few countries with the 220 power, have never work in Canada so was just checking. I have run across stranger thing that I never thought existed.

David
sncf141r

Post by sncf141r »

srrl5 wrote:I have worked in a few countries with the 220 power, have never work in Canada so was just checking. I have run across stranger thing that I never thought existed.
David; my Emco Compact-8 I bought second hand in England; some of my other electrical tools are from when I lived in the Netherlands, so I understand.

BTW - my shop is wired 220; my bigger lathe and my mill I selected 220 for them. I guess I fell in love with the reduced amperage of 220 when living in Europe.

BTW2- when living in the Netherlands, I was asked more than once why North American AC supply is so difficult to understand! I had no good reason - 220 all around makes sense to me.

JohnS.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

sncf141r wrote:BTW2- when living in the Netherlands, I was asked more than once why North American AC supply is so difficult to understand! I had no good reason - 220 all around makes sense to me.
That's a curious statement. Can you explain exactly what they meant? Having been raised with power always being 110/120 volts-220/240 volts, I don't have any problems understanding the system, even three phase, which I have in my shop. I'd be interested in hearing what differences exist. I already understand that Europe uses 220 volts. Anything else?

Harold