Boiler Design and Material Selection

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ScaleModeler1974

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

What about the boiler welding?

Stick, Mig, Tig??
Harold_V

Re: Washington State Rules

Post by Harold_V »

Marty_Knox wrote:Harold, Washington State will inspect non-code hobby boilers that do not exceed 16 inch inside diameter, five cubic feet of volume, twenty square feet of heating surface, and 150 psi. These apply only if it is not being used commercially or in industry.
Wow! It's quite liberal, which is a pleasant surprise.

Thanks, Marty.

Harold
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

ScaleModeler1974 wrote:What about the boiler welding?

Stick, Mig, Tig??
Under Guidance from the pros. I will be using my Tig welder
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Harold_V wrote:
Marty_Knox wrote:Harold, Washington State will inspect non-code hobby boilers that do not exceed 16 inch inside diameter, five cubic feet of volume, twenty square feet of heating surface, and 150 psi. These apply only if it is not being used commercially or in industry.

Thanks, Marty.

Harold
While i have yet to operate my boiler in my home state (Washington). (The reason i have not had it certified yet).
I wonder how the Washington State Cert will be handled by other states?
I normally run in Oregon, which do not inspect hobby boilers. but under Oregon Code, a uninspected hobby boiler is leveled to 100 PSI.
Would i have to carry a third safety set for 110 PSI? or will the State cert come into play?
Hmm, I may never know,,,
Thanks
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill Shields

Welding

Post by Bill Shields »

Stick or TIG are OK.

Both have their advantages - TIG being a good way to go if you can 'get in there' with the head, which is not always possible.

There is nothing wrong with a stick welded boiler and you cannot say that a TIG welded joint is any better than a proper stick welded joint.

DON'T MIG a boiler. You probably don't have a MIG machine that will handle 7018 equivalent rod...requires more than a cheapie wire squirter.

I don't know of any commercial boiler repair houses that use MIG.

I have asked my local supplier (who handles the entire Balitmore / Phila area), and while they LIST 7018 MIG equivalent wire, they have never sold a single spool of it to anyone.

A HINT for anyone building / designing a boiler:

DON'T PUT STAYS IN LOCATIONS WHERE YOU CANNOT GET IN TO WELD THEM.

Until you have 'been there - done that' you don't often think of this problem until it is too late - especially if you intend to TIG everything and cannot get the handle in there.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Harold_V wrote:

Thanks, Marty.

Harold
You're welcome, Harold. But, you or anyone else can look up the rules in effect where they live for themselves. Go to www.nationalboard.org and click on Juridictions. You then select Canada or USA, then your province or state. When you click on Details it opens up a window , usually with a picture of your Chief Inspector and a link to their website. Most of these websites will have the Law or Rules and Regulations. Some of them will have an index, if they do you can quickly see if there is a section on hobby or miniature boilers. Others you will need to wade through the Law or rules to see what it says.

A word of caution - you want to be careful if you do talk to an inspector. In some cases the boiler division has chosen to ignore the hobby - you don't want to do anything that will make them take official notice of the hobby.It may be wise to speak to your local club or other hobbyists rather than an inspector.
Last edited by Marty_Knox on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shields

inspectors

Post by Bill Shields »

amen...

old adage says "if you don't think you will like the answer, don't ask the question".
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

cbrew wrote: Under Guidance from the pros. I will be using my Tig welder
Chris, I have 4 different TIG torches. The one I use inside the firebox is the smallest one, air-cooled with a flexible head. The problem with it is that if I weld too long I end up melting something. The last time I did this it was the O-ring. Which reminds me I need to get a new one.
Some people suggest using a mirror - I've had trouble when I've tried that. I end up turning left when I should go right. You may want to make up a practice piece and weld that up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Marty_Knox wrote:
Harold_V wrote:

Thanks, Marty.

Harold
You're welcome, Harold. But, you or anyone else can look up the rules in effect where they live for themselves. Go to www.nationalboard.org and click on Juridictions.
Once again, I thank you. The link you provided will be useful, and I especially appreciate your comment on remaining "anonymous". I ran my precious metal refining business that way, flying under the radar as best I could. It was handled responsibly, but without snoops hanging over my shoulder.

Harold
Harold_V

Re: Welding

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote:DON'T MIG a boiler.
It could be that I didn't research deep enough, but I recall, years ago, researching acceptable procedures for welding a boiler. There were no acceptable MIG processes for code boilers.

Comments?

Harold
Bill Shields

Acceptable

Post by Bill Shields »

Just because there is no acceptable code MIG procedures, doesn't mean that people won't do it.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

what i've heard is that MIG won't penetrate deep enough.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.