1 1/2" Mikado on ebay

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

airbusguy

1 1/2" Mikado on ebay

Post by airbusguy »

Does anyone have info on this Mikado on ebay?

Ebay number 200403526763

Thanks
Phil Shaw
Manitoba Live Steamers
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

I built a the same locomotive. Its offered from railroad warehouse, www.livesteam.com Its a model of a 90 Ton Light mikado used in the logging industry. It has a 2.25 bore and a 3.5" stroke. 6" drivers, 8-5/8" boiler. It weighs around 500lbs.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

I am curious about the disparity of starting bids between the finished Mikado and the Heavy Mikado that is unfinished. Both being offered by the same seller. Am I the only one that finds it odd?
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

RR warehouse sells both of these as kits and finished engines, he is the one selling them now on ebay.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

BobbyT wrote:I am curious about the disparity of starting bids between the finished Mikado and the Heavy Mikado that is unfinished. Both being offered by the same seller. Am I the only one that finds it odd?
the heavy Mik. is about twice the size of the light one.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

The heavy mikado is the same loco as Railroad Supply Mikado.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i might be getting these confused or getting RR Wharehouse confused with RR Supply but i've seen two Mik's. and one is much larger than the other. it was like putting a Mogul next to a Northern.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Guys,

RR Warehouse developed the 90 ton logging Mikado a few years ago. That is Bob Pedersen's own design AFAIK. The USRA Heavy Mike used to be the RRSC USRA Heavy Mike which Bob started out with prior to offering the 90 ton logging Mike. Yes, they are two very different locomotives.

Rob Gardner
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Actually, Bob Pedersen did not design the 90 ton Mikado he sells kits for. That started
out as a group build project by the Sacremento Live Steamers. Bob has taken over
supplying the castings as well as waterject cut frames and laser cuts parts. Over the
years he has made quite a few improvements and added lost wax castings, etc. Some
of the original castings are not available and precious few individuals have them.

I am (still) building one, slowly but surely. This is my 90 tonner...

http://iprr.topcities.com/mikado

The USRA Mikado is indeed an old Railroad Supply (Chet Peterson) locomotive.
The rights to the patterns that Bob holds have been hotly disputed, but to be honest I
believe the statute of limitations has been far exceeded for any further claims. Many of
the missing patterns Bob has had to replace with his own because of the squabbles
over ownership.

And yes, the USRA weighs about double that of the 90 tonner.

Bill
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Actually the 90 ton Mikado was designed by Steve Vitkovits and Dick Thomas. They were/are members of GGLS here in the northern part of California. The engine kits were originally sold under the business name of Ferrous-Wheel designs and many were sold/built. Pederson acquired all the patterns/rights to the design and then dug into making a bunch of updates/changes to the overall kit.

I will say this.... Robert Pederson has made many nice changes and updates to this kit!

I will also say this..... Due to his Personality and Consumption of Alcohol one is best not to mention anything related to these earlier designs of this engine as they relate to Mr. Vitkovits or Mr. Thomas. The little man in Nevada will absolutely loose his mind and hang up the phone on you.... And then will never deal with you again.

The engine is nice.... You have been warned....

:)

Robert M.

And Yes. The other engine is the original RailRoad Supply Mikado. An Awesome locomotive!!!!
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Robert:

You are right. It was Golden Gate. I don't know why I said Sacremento.
Is there such a group? And yes, most of us have had issues with Bob
and his glowing personality, which is why I don't mention him or his company
on my website.

Thanks

Bill
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Bill Sacramento does have a club. You can goggle them at SVLS They have a very nice track and are very friendly to guests. They keep there track and grounds in tip top shape. Bob, Robs Dad