A Grand Day Out

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

JBodenmann

A Grand Day Out

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Spent Saturday at my friend Jim's 4-3/4" gauge 1-1/2" narrow gauge railroad for his annual Christmas Run. What a beautiful day! His railroad is small but very cool. It runs around the house with a spur line running along the hill side past the water tower to a gallows turn table at the end of the line. When the neighborhood littlies and more that a few grown ups hear the whistle they come a runnin'.
Attachments
A1.JPG

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Here is Jim the builder having a go.
Attachments
A22.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:55 pm

A young engineer pulls the throttle.
Attachments
A3.JPG

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Some ferocious lions were in attendance.
Attachments
A44.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Giving the little tea kettle a drink.
Attachments
A55.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Ahh that's good!
Attachments
A60.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Merry Christmas my friends.
Jack
Attachments
A70.jpg

rwmorris

Post by rwmorris » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Wholly Smokes Jack!!! What a sweet little deal that is!!! I so wish I had the ability to set up an empire like that here at the casa..... I don't think I would ever leave home! :)

Merry Ho Ho to you as well....

Best Regards,

Robert M.

Harlock

Post by Harlock » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:29 pm

rwmorris wrote:Wholly Smokes Jack!!! What a sweet little deal that is!!! I so wish I had the ability to set up an empire like that here at the casa..... I don't think I would ever leave home! :)

Merry Ho Ho to you as well....

Best Regards,

Robert M.
I think if you demolished the shop building then you'd have room for 3 1/2" gauge...but then you couldn't build anything. Decisions decisions...

Or you could just make it like Silver Spoons where the thing goes through the house. You'd have to get an easement from Sandy though.

;)

--Mike
San Lorezo Flume & Lumber Co. #2 - "Felton"
Live Steam Photography and more - www.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada

Loco112

it has its advanatges too

Post by Loco112 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:43 am

I've always liked that scale and gauge, its smaller and lighter that the club std scale but, its smaller radius and narrower track allow it to used in a much smaller area. It has some neat advantages to the larger club gauge.

This has to be a contender for the title of; smallest backyard riding scale and gauge that actually functions well.

Jack, how difficult was it to not tip over the equipment? I guess if you plan on tipping over every now ans then and expect it, then its not such a bad thing.

2.5" scale 5" gauge for the 2-footers also has the same advantages, and the two scales size and weight are nearly identical.
Narrow Gauge (Information) Exchange dot Org forum
My Projects:
Davenport 30 ton diesel (SV#101 / D&RGW#50)
C&S 1908 steel & 1905 wood: box, stock, flat, gon
D&RGW wooden freight cars, long & short cabeese
EBT 2-bay hoppers, Conoco #44 tank
DV (K&J) hopper
8"n3 - 3-footers, 8" scale, 24" gauge

Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:57 am

Mike -That would be Erin Not Sandy. As far as the garage being torn down that would be over the death of my body since it was my sweat that built it. ( I get paid in wine !!!!!!! Eat your hearts out .) I'm trying to figure out how we could buy the lot accross the street from Rob which would make one heck of a RR . I would have elevated and ground track both. Large shop in the middle with 1 bedroom and bath. Don't need a kitchen because we would be eating Rob's fabulous food every day.( Haven't got this detail approved from Rob yet) Now thats Rail Roading at it's best. Have a great Christmas Mike and hope to see you and your Chloe at our track in 2010. Bob...........

rwmorris

Post by rwmorris » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:10 pm

I don't think we could extract all of the concrete that was used during the construction of that shop...... Might be impossible?

Erin said we could have a railroad if she could have a pool.... So I don't think its gong to work out. :(

Dad you are welcome for dinner anytime...

Seriously, Jack, that is one hell of a set up at that fella's house! How cool. Did he build the sweet little 2-8-0? There is another super cool 1.5" Narrow gauge 2-8-0 that is kept hidden away in one of the GGLS members garage. typical... Barney Emerson's Destitute and Western 2-8-0 plus consist. Sway back box car and all..... Grumpy old men that keep things locked up are just no good.... I would love to see more pics of that joint!

Cheers,

Robert M.