Old Films

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

alaskajack

Old Films

Post by alaskajack »

Years ago in the 70's and into the 80's there was a club that rented old railroad movies to clubs. I think it was run by Scotty Scott. of the Minnesota live steamers. Does anyone know where those old films might have gone? I was hoping they were still available. Also, there used to be a pattern exchange amongst the steamers. Anybody have any ideas as to if that is still around? Thanks for any help. JAck
SZuiderveen

Re: Old Films

Post by SZuiderveen »

I am not so sure about the films, but the patterns went to the Riverside and Great Northern preservation effort at the former Sandley works, and I believe they were lost in a fire.

Steve Zuiderveen
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Why is it that everytime someone tries to create a "pattern pool" or repository for various loco/part patterns, they always get destroyed in a fire? Do patterns naturally attract smoke, heat and fire and ultimately create their own demise? (Is it a little too early for April fools yet)? cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
GeorgeGaskill

They usually go to foundries which are in the ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

business of melting metal with fire. It's an occupational hazard for wood patterns unless they are stored elsewhere and taken to the foundry only when being cast.
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

Carl
In stead of trying to create a physical pattern pool, why not try a owners listing whom would be willing to lend or have casting made from there patterns. Or do some clubs have a listing now.
Rolly
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Jack,
I used to subscribe to a mail in video rental service called Clear Signal Video http://clearsignal.tripod.com/ They have 1000's of railroad titles to choose from. They would send one two or three videos at a time.You send a check and they send the videos.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
alaskajack

Post by alaskajack »

Bruce: How have you been young fella? Comin our way anytime soon? Anyway, these films were owned by the Minnesota Live Steamers as far as I can remember. They Loaned them out for a small fee so they could be shown at club meetings or fund raisers. Thats how we used them to raise money to get started. worked too. These were 16mm films and some were 35mm films. I am just curious as to what happened to them. If they are not lost then I would like to see them restored digitally and would be willing to help in the process. There were some that were rare, Like John Waynes First movie (bit part) but entirely filmed on a steam railroad. Have not been able to find that in any movie place. Though I will try your site. Thanks Jack
highiron999

Post by highiron999 »

For old films, there is a great store in N. Hollywood, CA. named Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee". You name it they either have or can get it. They will know what you are talking about, because this is their nitch. 818-506-4242 closed Monday and Sunday. They also do mail order rental and have a "loaner program" that lets you get an unlicensed film as a free loaner with a paid rental, so there is no legal issue. Any movies, documentaries, TV shows, etc. are available. If you like old films, they will blow you away with what they have and the memories they will bring back. Leonard Evans/Highiron999
alaskajack

Post by alaskajack »

I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding on the films. I am looking for anyone who knows where those particular old films went to. I am hoping someone from that organization can tell me. I am interested in preserving those films if they are just laying around somewhere rotting away. Thanks for all the help. JAck
ROGER BYRNE

Post by ROGER BYRNE »

The films you asked about are still around and many have been converted to tape over the last few years. As a member of the Minnesota Live Streamers since 1972, I've watched many of them. If you want more info about these films, please contact me. ( [email]byrne1@hmtel.com)[/email]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Rolly,
What a neat idea...now if we can only find a way to "manage" such a listing (either by clubs or individuals). The next matter would be where to get parts cast since foundries are "drying up" around most major cities.

Will Jordan,
Can another "board" or database be set up within the structure of the Chaski bulletin boards where persons could list the patterns that are available? ...maybe include a photo of the pattern or photo of the finished product? ...and drwgs if possible? This way, persons with patterns could provide input to a common location instead of any one person trying to keep all the info straight. Just some thoughts on the subject. Anyone else have some ideas? cb
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

If there is a specific interest, I don't see that it should be any problem. What I would suggest is starting a thread for any pattern you have to offer, or any specific pattern you are seeking and if we see enough threads, we can move them to a new forum.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]