Valve gear data file for a RRSC 1.6 scale Mikado

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steamin

Valve gear data file for a RRSC 1.6 scale Mikado

Post by Steamin »

Hello board;
While trying to puzzle out the valve gear timing for my (Railroad Supply) Railroad Warehouse Heavy Mikado in 1.6 scale, we took all the actual dimensions and put them into Charles Dockstader's Walsherts Inside Admission Windows-based valve gear program. It helped us understand what was going on while timing the engine. (But I still have no idea how to read those steam diagrams, or what they mean!)

Thought I'd share the data file with you. You'll have to save the file and remove the ".h" file extension off the end--".dwi" file extensions are not allowed as file attachments on this board.
Regards,
Steamin'
Attachments
RRSMikadoFinal.dwi.h
For Charles Dockstader's Walsherts Inside Admission Windows ValveGear program
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Bill Shields

Gear

Post by Bill Shields »

Are you questioning the dimensions of the gear or are you asking for assistance with timing what you already have?

The techniques of timing the gear are straightforward.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Dennis, i looked at the program and you valve events in fwd. are off by almost 10%. you should be able to get to within 1%. it is better in reverse but you run in fwd. so you should get that better.

it looks like the combination lever is too long or the drop link is too short. if you watch the union link motion it swings from horizontal to below. it should swing above and below horizontal evenly.

the steam diagrams show the motion of the valve relative to piston travel. the oval diagram also shows your lap and lead. as you make changes in the links it may affect lap and or lead so i always go and check. example: you can change the valve rod length and even out the cutoff point but now your lead will be off. also in the oval diagram the ovals for fwd and rev are shifted. this indicates something isn't just right. they should lay almost on top of each other.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Steamin

just sharing

Post by Steamin »

Hi Bill, I was just putting the file out there for the community, should anyone find it useful. I think the default values for the program are for a 1.5" scale mike, not a 1.6. When I looked for a file for my loco, I couldn't find one, thought this might fill the gap.

I have detailed instructions for timing the loco, thanks!
Denis