Disney American

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wbarbe

Disney American

Post by wbarbe »

We (Carolwood) still have castings available, so Jack, if you need anthing you don't want to fabricate (not likely), we might be able to help you out. Also, the Disney Amrican chassis we have in the Disney barn has cast iron drivers, so I wonder if the original builder of this engine made their own. I am pretty sure the real Lilly Belle has cast iron drivers as well.
LivingLegend

Re: Disney American

Post by LivingLegend »

wbarbe wrote:.....I am pretty sure the real Lilly Belle has cast iron drivers as well.
Cast iron was specified for the drivers on the Disney 173 prints..... And the drivers as drawn were for a one price center and tire. No separate tires shrunk on the centers. To the best of my recollection the Disney 173's only used iron castings for the drivers.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Just double checked the Disney 173 driver drawing (drawing no. 22).... Although Walt wanted super accuracy, the drivers/tires are shown as one piece.

Don't know if the drivers were changed/modified during construction from the drawing.

BTW: Disney 173 frame was designed for straight pedestals. Didn't have a tapered pedestal or pedestal shoes.

LL
Last edited by LivingLegend on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeT

Starting the axle hole on the axle box

Post by GeorgeT »

Nice job as usual, very pretty axle boxes. Is there a trick required to start the axle hole where the part is split on the center line? Do you just clamp it up, hold it straight and start the hole?
GeorgeT
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

My brother has numerous parts for the Disney American including the drivers. His drivers are all cast iron. Very rarely seen is the dual taper on the drive wheel. the standard almost 3 degree taper is next to the flange but the outside of the wheel has something a bit steeper in the 5 degree area. He received no prints for the parts he purchased decades ago but we always wondered if the original prints called for the prototypical tire tread machine practice.

He is considering the sale of all his American parts at the upcoming SVLS Spring meet as his health no longer would allow him to ride on such a small locomotive if completed.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Rwilliams wrote:....Very rarely seen is the dual taper on the drive wheel. the standard almost 3 degree taper is next to the flange but the outside of the wheel has something a bit steeper in the 5 degree area. He received no prints for the parts he purchased decades ago but we always wondered if the original prints called for the prototypical tire tread machine practice
The Disney prints do not show a taper on the driver tread, and there isn't reference to there being a one.

The driver as drawn, showed a FLAT tread on the it's rolling area, and a taper of a short length from the wheel tire face.

The engine truck wheels follow the above.

Remember.... Back in the days when Disney built his 173, wheel treads with 0-degree taper were common. The "fake" taper for a short distance in from the wheel face gave the illusion that the whole tread was tapered.

LL
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is an update on the American. This engine was started by an eye surgeon back in the 1970's. His name was Dr. Thees. He did very nice work, just what you would expect from someone skilled enough to be an eye surgeon. For some reason he never actually assembled many parts, he jumped around a lot, machined parts and set them aside. Here is a shot of the lead truck. The wheel treads had no taper, fortunately he left enough material for re-turning with a two degree taper. Some little pieces had to be made such as pins, axle box bushings, and fenders and such. Pressed the wheels on the axles and assembled them. Dr. Thees did very nice work.
Attachments
ATruck1.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here are a few shots of the rocker boxes. The drawings called out for brass castings but there were none with the parts provided. Lets just make them, here we have some free machining brass.
Attachments
ARBox1.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Machine away everything that doesn't look like a rocker box. Here is Chessie inspecting them.
Attachments
ARBox2.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

More machining.
Attachments
ARBox3.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

And here is one stuck in place. Aluminum bronze was used for bushings as the free machining brass that was used for the main body is not acceptable for bearings. A small oil cup will be added.
Attachments
ARBox4.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is a set of photos showing one way to make cylinder drain cocks. The main body's were made of 5/16" free machining brass hex and 3/8" brass balls from our old friends at Mcmaster. The drawings called out for a 1/4"-28 straight thread but this was changed to 1/4" tapered model pipe threads. The cylinders are not yet drilled and tapped.
Attachments
ADrain1.jpg