Disney American

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Disney American

Post by Builder01 »

Once again, beautiful!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

And all of that magic happens in 1/2 of a two car garage.
Simply amazing Jack.

I have a question regarding the early locks with exposed
firebox sides, ie., the lagging is left off from about halfway down the boiler to the rear of the boiler.

Does the lagging that is there (upper half) continue around the rear of the firebox and the lower half of the
end left exposed or does the lagging end at the joint between the sides and the end?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
You are correct Brian, the lagging proceeds down as far as the running boards. It doesn't cover the back head, just as on the prototype.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Got a bit done on the little tea kettle today. Gathered up the bits of the cab that have been setting in a box for several years. The front of the cab framing hadn't been fitted together as the boiler wasn't on hand back then. Now that the boiler is here the size of the opening in the front of the cab could be determined, and the curved bits that fit around the boiler could be made. This top photo shows the cab frame. Now that the frame is mostly done, it still needs to have the angle of the cab roof cut. Work can then proceed on the windows and raided panels. These windows and panels are retained by moulding that will fit inside the openings in the frame. This moulding will have mitered corners. The second photo displays a short bit of the moulding that will hold the raised panels in place. The third photo shows the moulding that will fit in the bottom of the window openings. This moulding will serve as a window sill and also retain the windows. There is yet another type of moulding that fits to the sides and top of the window openings. The front side window will be stationary, and the rear side window will slide forward to open. The front cab windows will be hinged. Some cab windows hinged outwards, some inwards…Most had a cool little linkage with a big wing nut to hold them in place. Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
Cab1.jpg
Cab2.jpg
Cab3.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit of an update on the little tea kettle. The widows and raised panels have been made and the cab frame is going together. The windows and panels will be held in place by moulding. The windows have 1/16" glass. I believe I described how to make windows and doors some time ago in the Bobber Caboose thread.
See You In The Funny Pages..
Jack
Attachments
Windows1.jpg
Windows2.jpg
Windows3.jpg
Cab40.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Moving along here, the cab frame is put together. It was glued and clamped together in sections. First the front was clamped and glued together. Then the sides were clamped and glued to the front and then the back. The second photo is just for fun. It shows the difference between 1870's technology and 1930. Quite a difference in a relatively short time. I like em' both. In the bottom photo we have the cab plunked down on the engine for a look. The raised panels are being pre finished as it's much easier to varnish and sand the panels before they are stuck in the frame. The windows had the glass masked off and ail get several coats of varnish too.
Jack
Attachments
CabGlue.jpg
Big&Little.jpg
Cab.jpg
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I love the group photo jack. That is so cool.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Mike. I thought the contrast between the two was interesting.
Jack
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

I dunno Jack...

Canadian RR's had "all weather cabs".
Locos of today have "clean cabs".
But I think your "well ventilated cab" is something to be reckoned with! :roll:

Love the attention to detail. Do keep sharing the results of your fine workmanship. Thanx in advance. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
As Karl says that is no all weather cab. I think it would be a bit drafty on a cold winter day. Once the raised panels and windows are in it will be a bit better. The windows and panels are getting a few coats of varnish. I think some roof planking, and canvas would help keep the rain out too. I'll be divulging a few little tricks on how to make a nice job of the roof.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a photo of the raised panels. They will get a few coats of varnish before they are installed in the cab frame. As they are set back in the frame and held in place with moulding they would be difficult to sand when in place.
Jack
Attachments
Panels.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies of the windows. They have had the glass masked off and have had a couple coats of varnish with sanding between coats. Time to sand em' again, ( #220 grit )and sling some more varnish. They will get three or four coats.
Jack
Attachments
Windows40.jpg
Windows42.jpg