Disney American

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Disney American

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some scribbles, just shop notes but they may do. The teflon washer or cup if you prefer, must fit the glass tube and also the recess in the brass housing snugly. The bosses for the top and bottom connection are silver soldered to the square ends and are 1/4" model pipe. The glass shields are double strength glass. Microscope slides would be far too fragile and wouldn't really give any protection. This little sketch is pretty poor so if there are problems reading it I can make a proper drawing.
Jack
SmallWaterGlass.jpg
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Thanks Jack, your sketch will do for me. However, what is "double strength glass"? It is a type of glass I'm not familiar with. I asked a couple friends and they are not familiar with it either.

Dave S.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Double strength glass is just plain ol' window glass. It's about an eighth of an inch thick. I used it as that's what I had laying around.
Jack
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Got it Jack. Thanks!

Dave S.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

CheckValvejpg.jpg
Chk1.jpg
Chk2.jpg
Hello My Friends
Here is a bit more concerning check valves. This valve features an O ring as the seat. This O ring has two advantages, first the machining of the seat is very forgiving, and secondly it isn't near as sensitive to contamination as a metal ball on a metal seat. So here is the start of a thread on making one. The top photo shows a completed valve. The second photo down shows a piece of 5/8" free machining brass. Having been center drilled it is having a 7/32" hole drill through. Next a brand new 13/32" end mill is being used to both cut the seat for the poppet and O ring and also the tap drill size for the 7/16"- 40 thread that will hold the cap in place. The bottom photo shows a 1/4" reamer being used to size and finish the hole that the poppet valve will slide up and down in.
Chk3.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here in the top photo we have the valve body being turned down a bit, and then in the second photo a 7/16"-40 tap is being used to cut the thread for the cap. And then in the third photo the body is being parted off. The bottom photo shows the start of the cap. It is being turned down to 7/16"
Chk4.jpg
Chk5.jpg
Chk6.jpg
Chk7.jpg
Now that
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Chk8.jpg
Chk9.jpg
Chk10.jpg
Here is some more concerning the cap.The top photo shows and undercut being made with the parting tool. This will allow the cap to seat properly against the main valve body. The second photo down shows the 7/16"-40 thread that has just been cut using a die and die holder. The 40 thread is a really good thread for this. The third photo shows the work piece transferred to the spindex and the flats are being milled with a brand new end mill. All my end mills start out as brass end mills and then end up being used on steel. The bottom photo shows the work piece transferred back to the lathe and is now being parted off. That's all for now. Next time we will finish up the check valve with something new added that it only took me thirty years to figure out. Sometimes that little light bulb in my brain comes on and I think to myself, that's so simple why didn't I think of that before! Oh well, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then!
See you in the funny pages…
Jack
Chk11.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Cab.jpg
Throttle.jpg
Hello My Friends
here is an update on the American
Quadrant.jpg
Attachments
BackHead.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

American.jpg
Happy Model Building
Jack
wmegilljr

Post by wmegilljr »

All I can say is WOW. Beautiful
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Thanks for the update Jack!
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Next time we will finish up the check valve with something new added that it only took me thirty years to figure out. Sometimes that little light bulb in my brain comes on and I think to myself, that's so simple why didn't I think of that before! Oh well, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then!
Hello Jack. I need to make some check valves and snifter valves from my shay. I'm curious on "The rest of the story" about your check valve design. :mrgreen: