Kozo A3 Switcher

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

lekeatin

Kozo A3 Switcher

Post by lekeatin »

Is anyone working on Kozo Hiroako's Pennsylvania A3 switcher project? It's a 3-1/2" gage 0-4-0 slope backed tender designed as a beginner's project in live steam.
I've started the tender and so far have the wheels, axles, journal boxes and journal bearings completed. Everything is contructed from bar stock so you don't have to worry about castings.
I'm using a Taig mini-lathe and Taig milling machine. It's pushing the limits on some parts but as long as I take light cuts and have PATIENCE [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img] I'm ok ......for now !!
FredR

Re: Kozo A3 Switcher

Post by FredR »

I would like to have a 1-1/2" scale Pennsy. I have some of the issues of Live Steam that it was originally printed in. It looks like it goes together rather nicely. He is the only one that really shows you how to do something in detail. Just wished he worked in 1-1/2" scale though :-)

Fred
lekeatin

Post by lekeatin »

In Kozo's book on building the 3/4" scale switcher, he devotes several chapters on how to scale up the design to 1-1/2". He includes full suspension on the locomotive and brakes for both the loco and switcher.
Maybe time to buy that book ??!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Kozo's books are great. I have the three on geared locomotives. There is alot of information for any scale you build in.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
GeorgeGaskill

What's the title of Kozo's A3 Switcher book?

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Where can one buy it? Amazon didn't list it when I searched using author name.
FLtenwheeler

Re: What's the title of Kozo's A3 Switcher book?

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Look in Live Steam. I see them on eBay also. Some are out of print and some are in there secound printing.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FredR

Post by FredR »

You can order any of Kozo's books from http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/books/books.html
as well as ordering direct from Village Press http://www.villagepress.com/pub.htm
Fred
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Look in the book store Discover Live Steam

Tim
FredR

Post by FredR »

You can order any of Kozo's books from http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/books/books.html

Fred
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Fred R, I bought Kozo's book on the Climax and of course it is all in metric measurements, plus it is for a smaller scale so I bought meself a calculator from Radio Shack that converts metric to inch measurements. Instead, I wound up building Bill Harris' 1-1/2" scale design of Mich-Cal Shay in 2-1/2" scale to run NG on 7-1/2" track. I divided the track width on the plans into 7-1/2" and came up with a factor of 1.587 that I multiplied all measurements by. Everything worked out OK doing it that way. I did draw up the truck in full size 2-1/2" to be sure everything would fit the track alright. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka ( always curious) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Laurie, Now, about that didgeradoo? I have seen only one and the thing was bigger than I thought and has no reed in it. Tell me off line, if you will, how in the ever lovin' blue eyed world do you blow the things? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img] My addy is fernj1@earthlink.com

Unka (always curious) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

$48.00US? Pretty steep, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"