"Beer Heights" Light Railway

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

"Beer Heights" Light Railway

Post by Harlock »

I came across a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGsIOfKix0 that led me to the website for this track in Devon, England, the Beer Heights Light Railway. Here is one of those railways that is modeling a uniform gauge and scale across the board, Welsh two-footers, much like Fred V's club Wales West. There seem to be a good number of type-specific live steam railways in the UK.

their web page is at:
http://www.peco-uk.com/Pecorama/BHLR.htm (scroll down, one big long page with lots of info)

In the video, at first I thought I was looking at 10 1/4" gauge, based on the size and running speed, but no, it's 7 1/4. It appears to be much heavier, taller track, accommodating deeper flanges. In short, it is made for that gauge and scale rather than compromised, since they only run one scale more or less. This allows them to run more like we do on our 9" gauge railway here in the high desert.

I also very much like the design for the coaches. Since the ride is obviously pretty stable, center bench seats are not the order of the day there. The back to back seating arrangement is similar to that of the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad and Overfair Pacific coaches, except smaller.

The largest engines resemble Fred's new 'sit in' engine out at Wales West. Fred, were you inspired by any of these?

Anyhow, I thought you all would appreciate the very high quality of construction and presentation shown here.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Pennsy fan

Re: "Beer Heights" Light Railway

Post by Pennsy fan »

Mike I found this a while back, I guess it's part of Peco's plant. I did notice how perfect the whole place is. I think I need to get a white shirt and tie to run engines!!

I and thought you would get it on oil firing, just got to stay on top of it.

d.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Apparently the complex was founded by the creator of Thomas the Tank Engine. Despite the questionable reputation of the "Blue Dumpster" amongst purists, we really do owe a debt of gratitude to the man who has kept modern young children interested in trains, and provided a means for tourist railroads even here in the states to generate a significant amount of income from Thomas events. :)

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

my inspiration was mostly Moors Valley: http://www.moorsvalleyrailway.co.uk/moorsvalley.html
click "locomotives" on the bottom page.

we just finished 3 weekends of Thomas at Wales West. it was grueling but put the place on the map and made them a lot of money so the operation will continue.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.