Bob Holder / Rogers - Cooke Locomotive Works

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Bob Holder / Rogers - Cooke Locomotive Works

Post by LVRR2095 »

I just received the news that Robert Holder, founder of the Rogers - Cooke Locomotive Works (the recent model company) passed away about three weeks ago. Bob had been seriously ill for quite some time. He was a major influence in the hobby and he will be greatly missed.

Keith
Fender

Re: Bob Holder / Rogers - Cooke Locomotive Works

Post by Fender »

Sorry to hear of Bob's passing. I met him about three years ago, and he was quite the gentleman. I bought some driver castings from him for a mikado I am building. He had quite a shop in the basement of a house. There must have been at least eight lathes and milling machines crammed into that basement.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Bob was a good guy...I always enjoyed speaking with him at NJLS....I'd love to have a couple more sets of his Bettendorf truck castings and a pair of Reading tender trucks in 1 1/2" scale....I just never got around to it....Hopefully, all that good stuff won't just get discarded.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Fender wrote: He had quite a shop in the basement of a house. There must have been at least eight lathes and milling machines crammed into that basement.
The house was a building Bob owned, with the upstairs rented out as a Doctor's office. Bob did quite a bit of machine work in that crowded shop. I worked part time for Bob for about 6 months back in 1973. I saw his son Bill at Cabin Fever this year, I'll have to call him and see what's going to happen to all the live steam stuff.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Marty_Knox wrote: The house was a building Bob owned, with the upstairs rented out as a Doctor's office. Bob did quite a bit of machine work in that crowded shop. I worked part time for Bob for about 6 months back in 1973. I saw his son Bill at Cabin Fever this year, I'll have to call him and see what's going to happen to all the live steam stuff.
Marty, I believe that his son has plans of moving Bob's shop to near his home in Pennsylvania and getting Rogers-Cooke back into production.
Keith
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

I am sorry to hear about Bob's passing. He had a great line of products including some cool 2 1/2 scale stuff. It is nice to hear his son is going to start things back up.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

That is too bad. I know over the past couple of years I haven't been able to reach him and heard that his line of stuff was going to be stopped. It is encouraging to hear his son might pick it up. His wheel radius cutting bits and flame cut frames have helped my Allen mogul along.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I spoke with Bill Holder this morning. Right now he is taking inventory of the shop. He plans on continuing Rogers-Cooke; once he has a handle on things he will start a website. If there is an item you would like right away PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

This is a true loss for our hobby. Bob always had time to chat whenever I stopped by his shop on my way to Pennsylvania from Long Island. He always had new stuff on the front burner and his shop, albeit a bit crowded, was filled with live steam work. I'm glad his son will be carrying on his line. Thanks Bill. I fully support your efforts.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

I am curious to know what Bob Holder's son (Bill?) has been able to do with his fathers stuff.
There does not seem to be much activity since these old posts.
WJH

Post by WJH »

RICHK wrote:I am curious to know what Bob Holder's son (Bill?) has been able to do with his fathers stuff.
There does not seem to be much activity since these old posts.
I met Bob Holder a long time ago at a FLLS meet.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I tried unsuccessfully to get a hold of Bill several years ago. After many calls I managed to reach him, but his response was "Well, I am hoping to ____ in the future." His father had a catalog of items, but at the time I called Bill wasn't selling anything.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"