Eureka Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jessebanning

Re: Eureka Project

Post by jessebanning »

A wood test pilot was made to make sure we got all the dimensions and angles right before we cut up the brass angle. We have plenty of wood and brass is expensive. Tomorrow we'll fabricate the actual brass angle pilot :D
Attachments
wood pilot 1.jpg
wood pilot 2.jpg
wood pilot 3.jpg
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

A few days ago I bought a Pexto powe slip roller for $400. It was going to be scrapped because the owner could not get it to run. So I bought it and we made a new spur gear for it and re-machined another gear so everything would work. It works like a swiss watch now :D . Then my partner Don came up with the idea we should machine a slot in the rolls to roll angle as well. This way we could get the radius perfect for the pilot/cow-catcher. here are a few shots of the rolls being turned. The rollers are 43" long and 3.00" OD. I also spoke with the foundry this morning and we'll have our drivers next week :D . They had to wait for some fine sand to be delivered. I'll post some pictures of the brass angle for the pilot after we roll it.
Attachments
roller 2.jpg
roller 3.jpg
roller 1.jpg

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Thank you again everyone for your help. Here are a few pictures of the whistle I started yesterday. Almost done. Just need to make the valve and link :lol:
Attachments
whistle 1.jpg
Acorn nut, sorry so fuzzy.  It has a .375" OD and the hex is .281". Overall height is .702"
Acorn nut, sorry so fuzzy. It has a .375" OD and the hex is .281". Overall height is .702"
Inside, you can see the cap with boss. The wall thickness is .026".  I started with a 1.5" round bar, drilled a 1.00" hole then bored the final ID.  Then I machined the final OD to 1.144
Inside, you can see the cap with boss. The wall thickness is .026". I started with a 1.5" round bar, drilled a 1.00" hole then bored the final ID. Then I machined the final OD to 1.144
Top view
Top view
The baffle: its .080"
The baffle: its .080"
The stem, acorn nut and baffle
The stem, acorn nut and baffle
whistle 7.jpg

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Here are a few of the cow catcher coming together. Its made from .062" X .500" brass(the bottome angle) and .062" X .312" angle (upper bars, not on yet). I'll post more pix tomorrow and some video as well :D
Attachments
cow catcher 1.jpg
cow catcher 2.jpg

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Here is a youtube link for the whistle so you can hear what it sounds like. I'm getting a hum in my speakers when the whistle blows. I think its just beacuse of the tone. The whistle does not make that humming sound lol :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFW3sPgKWA

www.littleengines.com
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

there has been discussion about the sound of the whistle when being videotaped/audio recorded on a steam whistle list. I believe the consensus is you must take the recording from a distance away (probably 50-100 feet) for you to be able to hear the real tone. Otherwise you will get a lot of distortion in the microphone.

just passing that along....

-mike
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Here is a link to youtube of a short video on rolling the brass angle for the cow catcher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AihZ_32YKA

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Here are a few more pix of the cow catcher coming together. Once its finished, I'm going to sand blast them and then paint them. Dan Markoff is sending me a small paint sample so I can get some paint. The driver castings should be arriving any day now.
Attachments
cow catcher 1.jpg
cow catcher 2.jpg
cow catcher 3.jpg
cow catcher 4.jpg
cow catcher 5.jpg

www.littleengines.com
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Hi all. I posted a few more pictures on our website of the Eureka progress. Bob Morris yelled at me last night to post some more pictures hahahahaha :lol:, so here are a few
Attachments
Cow catcher just about completed.  Still need to  make the coupling link, then paint
Cow catcher just about completed. Still need to make the coupling link, then paint
Here is the smoke stack mocked up.  The stack base still needs some final machining, the lower portion of the stack (cinder collector) still needs quite a few more parts including the spark arresting screen and deflector.  The Stack in the photo is just a quick template I made up to check my dimensions.  The real stack is almost completed.  It is made up of several parts and riveted together as was the prototype.  The lower portion of the cinder collector will be pressed into the stack base and also form a portion of the internal stack extension.
Here is the smoke stack mocked up. The stack base still needs some final machining, the lower portion of the stack (cinder collector) still needs quite a few more parts including the spark arresting screen and deflector. The Stack in the photo is just a quick template I made up to check my dimensions. The real stack is almost completed. It is made up of several parts and riveted together as was the prototype. The lower portion of the cinder collector will be pressed into the stack base and also form a portion of the internal stack extension.
Here is the lower portion of the lower stack (cinder collector).  It is made up of a number of parts and pressed together as you'll see in the following photos
Here is the lower portion of the lower stack (cinder collector). It is made up of a number of parts and pressed together as you'll see in the following photos
stack base 2.jpg
stack base 3.jpg
stack base 4.jpg

www.littleengines.com
Dwight Ennis

Post by Dwight Ennis »

The stack and cowcatcher look terrific Jess!! Looking forward to photos of the completed parts!
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Glad I yelled at you Jesse. Looking very nice. Can't wait to see the finished project. (LOCO) Bob...............
Ray Cadd

Post by Ray Cadd »

Yeah Jesse, those are looking really good. Nice work! Are you going with steel or copper for the boilers?
Ray Cadd

2.5" scale Allen Chloe saddle tank
2.5" scale RMI switcher
2.5" scale LE "Crab"
4.75" ga. O.S. "Koppel"
3.5" ga. "Fanny"
asst. ga1...