Eureka Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jessebanning

Eureka Project

Post by jessebanning »

We're finally starting the Eureka project for a customer next week. I'll be posting pictures of th build on our website www.jdlocomotiveworks.com. I also posted a couple pictures of our 0-4-0 project. Tryng to squeeze it in between jobs. I think we'll have the 0-4-0 done sometime next month.
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Mountaineer

Re: Eureka Project

Post by Mountaineer »

Are you planning on doing a full set of drawings?
Mountaineer.
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

No we're not going to produce a high volume of this locomotive. We plan to only make 3 and thats it. This way they will retain their value and also be a collectors item as well. They will be an EXACT replica and also come with a certificate of authenticity. I have a full set of original Baldwin drawings. Again everything is going to be exactly the same including a function oil lamp head light. One of the locomotives is already accounted for. I have another gentleman who expressed his interest in the second locomotive.

www.littleengines.com
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

Jesse,

Are you shooting for "as built" or as they are now?

If you're going for "exact" then do note the swing bolsters on the Engine Trucks of the "Eureka" and the "Sonoma" are different heights by close to a foot. The swing bolster on the Eureka is low slung like is seen commonly in Baldwin's post 1880 re-designs.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Jesse,

I'm a builder not a buyer. If you are interested in selling a copy of the drawings and having a list of castings- let me know.

Thanks,
Mountaineer.
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

jessebanning wrote:We plan to only make 3 and thats it.
Thump thump thump...
- Me, banging head on wall
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

To all that have 8-18C drawings; I also have a list and a huge set of 8-18C original blueprints that came from a buddy of mine about 35 years ago and predates the CSRRM collection. I'd like to compare lists of what you have to a list (that I will soon put together) of what I have. If you can make a list of everything you have in your collection, you and I could trade "drawing for drawing" for any ones that you and/or I am missing to further complete our sets.

I can not openly trade or sell these drawings, that was the deal I made when I got them from my friend so as much as I would like to, I can not, so please do not ask me to sell you these. I can trade you a few to get a few, to add to our sets.

Curtis I saw your Solidworks frame drawing for the 8-18C posted on some other forum site a few weeks ago while I was looking for 8-18C material deep into the night. I recognized it for its greatness right away and downloaded a copy. I still will not use it without your permission. I want to buy a fully functional copy of it from you as some point to use in my 8-18C project. I suspect that you have a couple of frame notes & sketches that I also have but, we should compare collections to see as I might have a few that you are msissing.

I believe that Degolyer will also have a few other parts drawings to add to this 8-18C set, maybe many but, we will not know until the "Baldwin Builders Drawing Search aids" are complemented by my other group (NGX) and that project is on hold right now awaiting some accurate info from the PENN ST Archives. It could get restarted any day now, so we'll see. We do want to get the Baldwin search aid project on DVD and for sale inexpensively by X-Mas.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

Loco112 wrote:Curtis I saw your Solidworks frame drawing for the 8-18C posted on some other forum site a few weeks ago...
That would have been the PacificNG.com site.
I believe that Degolyer will also have a few other parts drawings to add to this 8-18C set.
They have about a dozen detail part drawings (brake shoes, air tank bracket, etc) that are appropriate to the engines in question, they also have drawings for standard gauge 8-18Cs which are not appropriate, so one needs to be careful.
I'd like to compare lists of what you have to a list (that I will soon put together) of what I have. If you can make a list of everything you have in your collection...
That'll be easy since most all the official drawings I have are from the Cal State RR Museum. I have one drawing from the DeGolyer of the replacement firebox of one of Sonoma's sister engines.

I also have hundreds of hand sketches that I made off the engines, and I have Frank Allan's field notes & sketch from when he helped Erich Thompson with the restoration of the "Sonoma" and built his 5" scale 15" gauge model.
I saw your Solidworks frame drawing for the 8-18C posted on some other forum site a few weeks ago... I want to buy a fully functional copy of it from you as some point to use in my 8-18C project. I suspect that you have a couple of frame notes & sketches that I also have
If you got that PDF I posted then you have everything I have on the frame. I put all my notes into that drawing.

That will eventually be a PacificNG.com exclusive drawing.

--------------------------------
tburzio wrote:
jessebanning wrote:We plan to only make 3 and thats it.
Thump thump thump...
- Me, banging head on wall
Lots of manufacturer's make limited runs of models. And Jesse is getting permission from Dan Markoff, the restorer/owner/operator of the "Eureka", to make official models which is rather rare in this hobby. They should be wonderful little engines.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

I posted some pictures of the progress of the Eureka project on our website http://www.jdlocomotiveworks.com. The link is at the bottom titled Eureka Project. I'm waiting for the water jet cut frames to arrive as we speak. When they show up, I'll post some pictures.

www.littleengines.com
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

If it's painted up and detailed like the real thing, it will be awesome.

Also, ever since I saw the 15" gauge version (and real version) of the Sonoma, I thought that would be a great 7 1/2" project as well.

15" pictured here with a certain red-haired ferroequinologist sitting on the ore car.
Attachments
09-10-11_Hillcrest_Wahtoke_Reedley-3215.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Harlock wrote:If it's painted up and detailed like the real thing, it will be awesome.

Also, ever since I saw the 15" gauge version (and real version) of the Sonoma, I thought that would be a great 7 1/2" project as well.

15" pictured here with a certain red-haired ferroequinologist sitting on the ore car.

And sitting beside the red-haired ferroequinologist is Truson Buegel of Loco drawing fame.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

The locomotives will be an exact replica/split image of the prototypes. The frames arrived around 1730 yesterday and it was already 113 degrees outside so I really didnt feel like sticking around the shop much longer. Already sweated my butt off hahahaha. I'll post some pictures of the frames shortly. I couldn't get the entire frame in one shot because its just about 5 feet long.

www.littleengines.com