Milk of Magnesia as Anti-Sieze?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RET

Re: Milk of Magnesia as Anti-Sieze?

Post by RET »

Hi,

Before the days of ball and roller bearing dead centers, it was normal practice to use white lead mixed with a little oil to lubricate the tailstock center. Using it so that you could remove screws years down the road would also make perfect sense in the days before Neverseez and other such compounds were available.

For most of us, those days are long in the past because a ball bearing center in the tailstock is SO much better and relatively inexpensive. When using the white lead system, you always had to stop to relubricate the center at the most inconvenient times.

Just my experience.

Richard Trounce.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Sounds like a fish story. I was in Naval Aviation in a small squadron working with the E-2 aircraft with twin turbo prop engines and never did I see any MoM being used. There was 'Anti-Seize' used.... I guess if a sailor became constipated the infirmary may dispense some MoM but I'll bet he didn't smear any on any bolt threads.
Here at the Lab, we have our SS bolts silver plated as an anti seize but that is because of the need for absolute cleanliness of the super conducting cavities immersed in liquid helium. No oil, no grease and no 'Anti-Seize' and no MoM either!
BC
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

yes on the white lead....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I also saw a reference to using it on SS fasteners on a still on a "Homebrew" website, but alas, my work computer forbid access to an website about alcohol!
I was looking for "Essex", a renown wires and cables company, and the company internet policy reminded me that it was an inappropriate use of company resources.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle...

I still use the white lead / oil on my dead centers that are ground ALMOST to the center line so that I can get tool very close to center.

Granted, it is not very often -> and I am pretty sure that my 50% full 1/2 pint can of white lead will last until I no longer need it.+
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

After digesting all of the above, I have to go with Bill on this.
We are not working with precision threads in equipment manufactured in quantity with quality and uniformity controlled by reams of specifications and strict quality control. In trhat respect, exactly what is the specification for the milk of magnesia used in those jet engines and how do manufacturers and maintenance personnel get away with a folk remedy in critical applications? It shakes my faith if the FAA that such mickey mouse remedies are permited in aircraft engines.

Our threads are often not precision-matched and assembly conditions are highly variable if they are anything like conditions in my shop. As long as there is a variety of purpose-blended compounds made at reasonable cost specifically for our building and operating circumstances, it doesn't seem worth the risk to mess with questionable alternatives. (IMHO)

B&OBob
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I spent 10 years supervising a shop that overhauled industrial gas turbines (BIG jet engines)...and a few Bell Jet Ranger units.

OK...they did not have afterburners but did run non-stop for 2+ years between overhauls at temperatures I don't like to think about (nor can I remember exactly....)..

Anyhow -> we used never seize on everything so that we could get it apart, including the RR Olympus units we had driving pumps...and I have to admit that those guys were VERY PICKY about what we did with their engines (ESPECIALLY when a factory rep was on-site 'supervising'...)...giggle..

If MoM works for folks go with it -> he HAS to be cheaper and I am willing to bet is a whole lot easier to wash off clothing than never-seize!

Who knows...next thing you know someone will be touting gluing things together with Loctite as opposed to using a press fit.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

So...has the Milk of Magnesia discussion run its course and reached the end? Shall we now look at some of the home shop machining virtues of: Immodium AD and Pepto Bismol next? Just havin' some fun here!!! :roll: Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I worked as a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force, (engine shop, flight line, phase docks and test cell) and subsequently for a pipeline company that used acft deritivative engines to drive the pumps. Never heard of nor used any such thing on any part of those engines. AND, would never want to be caught using anything other than what the TO specified. Good way to end up in jail if something should have gone wrong... even if that wasn't at fault. But, it might work just fine.
Scotty
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

We are 'protected' so well by our government, it would not be a surprise if 'white lead' is a forbidden substance. It contains lead and after all, it was probably tested for toxicity by coating a mouse with it for a week to study the effects for shop use. :shock:

BC
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

White lead is virtually impossible to purchase today (in the USA) except in some very special paints.

the can that I have dates back to WWII and was used by a friend when he worked in the Springfield Armory during that time.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I bought some white lead from an art supply store. It's called flake white. That was some years ago so I don't know if it's still available. I see some on the net labeled "flake white hue" which suggests it's the right color but perhaps not with the lead.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.