HELP! what to do about a pit in the core of my iron cylinder

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

TimothyG94

HELP! what to do about a pit in the core of my iron cylinder

Post by TimothyG94 »

I have purchased castings for a coles puffin billy switcher and in the image below, there is a huge pit in the cored hole of the cylinder, too deep to machine out. What really disappoints me is why this casting was sold to the guy i bought it from. Where is quality control anymore?
[img]100_2935.jpg[/img]
does anyone have any suggestion s on how to fill this hole in? I don't want to machine this bore out too big!
Attachments
100_2935.jpg
Greg_Lewis

Re: HELP! what to do about a pit in the core of my iron cyli

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If it won't clean up after machining, I think the best solution would be to sleeve it. While it might be humanly possible to get down in there and fill it with weld, I think that would be a compromise that would not be guaranteed to succeed. And you'd need a welder of considerable skill to do that anyway. I'm not aware of any compounds such as JB Weld that I would trust on such a critical part.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Looks from here like you have lots of metal to machine and the pit does not look too deep. I would try the bore. If all else fails like the earlier post you can sleeve it.

John Buckwalter
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Yep, I agree--machine the bore and keep the possibility of making a sleeve in the back of your mind. What is the diameter of the finished bore supposed to be?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Fender

Post by Fender »

The casting looks like cast iron, but seems to have a yellowish tint, so might be bronze. (?) I'm assuming the void doesn't intersect with the steam passages. If it does, that's a whole different problem. If not, I'm with the others, just put in a sleeve if need be.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
TimothyG94

Post by TimothyG94 »

Fender wrote:The casting looks like cast iron, but seems to have a yellowish tint, so might be bronze. (?) I'm assuming the void doesn't intersect with the steam passages. If it does, that's a whole different problem. If not, I'm with the others, just put in a sleeve if need be.
the color is from my desk lamp, it is cast iron. that's another thing the pit is about an 1/8" deep and i only have to remove less than 1/32" of iron for correct size bore i do't want to bore oversize and have an engine that runs sluggishly and inefficient.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Something doesn’t add up here. You say you only have a 1/32 of and inch that .032 in the bore! It seems like you should be b boring out no less then ¼ inch .250.

Cored holes generally are out of round by 1/16 .062. I don’t think you can set up a rough casting accurately enough to bore of 1/32

Are you sure these figure (.032 1/32 is correct)?
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I am not the least bit familiar with the casting in question, but I am familiar with castings in general. The very notion that there's only 1/32" of material that is to be removed sends up a red flag. It is generally desirable that a first pass in cast iron be no less than .05" deep (per side) to get beneath any surface chilling and sand that may be included. I would expect that the cylinder in question would have been cast with that idea in mind.

Are you, by chance, altering (by reducing) the intended size of the bore? As Dave said, the chance that the core will be properly located and allow such a small amount to be removed is doubtful. I would think that those that produced the casting would know that.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i agree with the last 2 replies. also it looks like the bore is off center from the outside of the cyl. by quite a bit but unfortunately to the wrong side.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
TimothyG94

Post by TimothyG94 »

maybe this new pic will clear up confusion. also the cast rough bore is pretty round by itself and has a diameter of .985" the recommended bore is 1.0625. The reason i don't want to go bigger is because i am also using little engines wheels that need 2.187" of stroke and the drawings only require 1.75" of stroke, dont worry about that i already compensated for piston length and other things.
Also, i should add that the maximum recommended bore is 1.375" which is huge

Back to the topic i want to know about sleeving. Should it be grey iron stock, how thick should the wall be and how do you secure it inside? press fit?
Attachments
100_2936.jpg
Last edited by TimothyG94 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I have used these cylinders on my booster truck, they are bored out to 1.25"
so your solution is as simple as boring out to 1.25" and then install a sleeve with an ID of 1".
this solution will take care of all the foreseeable issues
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
TimothyG94

Post by TimothyG94 »

If i bored to 1.25" and if there is only a small pit left will it still work?