Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

Post by Pipescs »

The Frame extension continues.

this has been quite painfull but is starting to come together. The original was a large casting and I also have heard the one on the Kalmath PS4 was also a casting.

Not wanting to go down that path I have broken the original drawings down to components that can be machined from stock and plate.

The idea being modular. It is now up to five sheets of drawing

This is an elevation shot I am using to develop the fulcrums
208 Frame Extension Elevation Model (1).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Well tomorrow I head for home having worked for two weeks in Hunt Valley MD

Not a totally wasted trip as for at the hobby is concerned. I managed to get down south and meet Fender and his lovely wife for a day. I cannot say enough about their hospitality and the wonderful time they showed me.

I now have my material for the smoke box and have managed to finish roughing in design for the frame extension.

It is built up from machined pieces to keep from having to pursue a casting.

I have to clean up the drawings and work out the method of fastening a few of the parts still

This is a jpeg of the elevation drawing that will show the assembly
208 Frame Extension Elevation Model (1).jpg
Now to chase down the HRS blocks to build it from.

I have started to build sub kits of material for each drawing assembly as I go. I find I can afford small parts and put them on the shelf every pay day better than I can save up for the end.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Having come in off the road I have laid out a few days from the shop and been working on getting the family to except me back into the house.

I did pick up the smoke box pipe that Fender was gracious enough to provide for the project.

I have laid out the parts to inventory and motivate myself to continue on with the overhaul on the milling machine and to continue drawing parts for. I have everything for the frame, cylinders and pistons along with the baker valve gear and side rods. Also the brake fulcrums for the side of the frame.
DSC_0049.jpg
Amazing how this small pile of parts weighs and cost more than all the money I have spent on RC model planes in my entire life.

Not shown on the kit parts pile up is the pieces of steel stock that I have tried to buy each payday and lay back in store for later.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Does anyone remember a thread that showed four or five boilers under construction? The photos showed rolled plate construction

The impression I got was that someone was doing a production run for one type of boiler.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Fender

Post by Fender »

Charlie,
Seems like the five boilers were for Allen moguls. I'll see if I can find that writeup. Glad you got the pipe back to AL. Now I'll have to do something with my piece. :mrgreen:
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Maybe this post about some Berk boilers?

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... re#p190290
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The Berkshire thread was it. I cannot thank you enough. Sent of a PM so see if they did one off boilers.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Sorry OT of topic thread but contact Marty here:

http://www.ridgeboiler.com/
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Managed to catch him on the phone today.

Next trip out of town I will concentrate on the boiler drawing to send him for an estimate on the cost.

In talking to him we decided I would send him a scaled down drawing out of the Fitt book and he will come back with suggestions on how to model it.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

In the shop. Managed to get the repainted knee back on the Bridgeport Mill this morning with the gibs lubed and everything put back together.
DSC_0112.jpg

Hope to have the saddle in the cleaning tank tomorrow but tonight I have to start the recovery of the fact that we all took off for the paint ball field to have a paint ball war between nine forteen year olds and five dads. There are some things a fifty seven year old should not try this late in life. But it really is fun shooting your kids this way.
DSC_0096.jpg
We did it for four hours and I must say it will take me days to recover from the physical stress and bruising. People my age should not be low crawling and taking shots between the eyes.

Having survived the day the boilier drawings are off and running. I would hope to have them roughed in by the end of my next trip when it is back to the frame drawings.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

A note on my drawings to anyone that is following this thread. I have been asked if the drawing package would be for sale when I am done.

They will not be for sale

I am a hobbiest by nature and having built everything from RC Boats, RC Planes, Display models and the like. I have learned from others that it is best to never let your hobby become a business. I do this simply for the relaxation and enjoyment of doing something unique

If you Ask Jesse Banning or Roger Goldmann I would not be surpised to find it has been many a year since they worked on a project for the fun of it.

This is not a bad thing as if it was not for the professionals out there we would not have any hobby support, Without Rogers Castings I would have never even started down the path on the PS-4

I am doing this set with more detail than anything I have done in the past as I realize a hundred years after I have met my maker someone may try to use them and I would hate to be be remembered for slopy work.

All that being said when I am finished they will be available to anyone that wants a copy. I have considered sending sets to people at the various sites like Jessie's so that people would have a place to get them after I move on. It will be too large a project to email out but I will make it available on CD. For that matter if you see a sheet I am working on that you would like a copy of to help you out on a project please send me a PM

Thanks to all you guys for supporting me (a beginner) in this effort.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
kvom

Post by kvom »

I am doing this set with more detail than anything I have done in the past as I realize a hundred years after I have met my maker someone may try to use them and I would hate to be be remembered for slopy work.
It would be interesting to know which, if any, or today's digital media will be accessible in 100 years. The plans and pictures of 19th century trains are available today because they were printed on paper. To have your work survive, get it printed.