Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Re: Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

Post by Mike Walsh »

kvom wrote:
I am doing this set with more detail than anything I have done in the past as I realize a hundred years after I have met my maker someone may try to use them and I would hate to be be remembered for slopy work.
It would be interesting to know which, if any, or today's digital media will be accessible in 100 years. The plans and pictures of 19th century trains are available today because they were printed on paper. To have your work survive, get it printed.
I agree. I am really enjoying this thread, as I would like to build a prototype scale locomotive after I'm done with my 2-8-0. Which one it will be, I do not know - but I know that it will be a runner. I really would like to do a mainline locomotive of sorts. Passenger would be great - but the equipment is so expensive (If you can find them, 1" scale 3-axle passenger trucks go for $700 a pair). For that price, you could do three freight cars. I'm also fond of coal drags, so....

I also need to find a source for a rather complete set of drawings. Enough to get me a built frame (driver diameters, spacing, cylinder info, etc). Any more than that will just be icing on the cake.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

-Mike
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

To have your work survive, get it printed.
I have really taken this to heart. I can remember saving data to a "Flopy Disk" but don't know how you would read one today.

I am drawing in AutoCAD 2002 (already a dinosaur) and converting to PDF which currently can be printed at the local printshops to a full sized print.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

You are doing a fantastic job! as to the saving format. i would save copies in DXF, and IGES file formats. they are pretty well industrial standards. and the plus advantage is all the drawing, design and machine programs will internally convert and open them. that way 20 years down the line they are still readable.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Printing the paper copies makes it easeier for me to see my mistakes and also gives light to what some people claim to be the high cost of plan sets from the different suppliers.

At 2.50 to 5.00 per print at a print shop today the cost can add up very quickly for a detailed set of drawing.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

This is the end of this thread. No more talking about it. I have jumped off the fence and am commiting to having this done by my sons 25th birthday which is 10 years down the road.

I have started a thread at

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=90648

Wish me luck and all prayers are appreciated.

Charlie Pipes
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Best of luck!

I have tried to keep folks updated on my 2-8-0 via my blog, but progress is sporadic and I usually forget the camera.

I can't wait until I start my NEXT project. Whether it be a freight car or a passenger car or a locomotive, I intend to start a brand new chapter on it and go from the ground up. I changed ideas too many times on the 2-8-0 and never really established a solid plan. That will change with my next project.

Photos, photos, and photos!

:-)

Mike
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

Hello out there,
I see that this thread has been inactive for quite some time.
Has it perhaps been continued under another title?
Perhaps someone can give me an update.
I too would like to be able to make a detailed drawing set on the ps-4 locomotive.
The booklet by William Fitt offers only a tantalizing view of the possibilities. Strangely enough this publication does not include any detailing of the steam cylinder/saddle. Big omission, that.
robertdean

Post by robertdean »

Charlie, This is a photo of PS4 I built for Paul Levy of near Orlando. He recently sold the engine and I used the Goldmann Pacific Cylinders and Baker valve gear.

Yes Walchearts was favored later on by Southern but I have no Idea why. I used Bill Fitt's PS4 booklet and still have it. I fabricated the trailing truck from scratch using his drawings. Engine has SS boiler, SS lost wax cast drivers by Ray Simms (ILS) and as attested by all around Florida, preformed beyond wildest dreams.
Attachments
levy2.jpg
boomerralph

Post by boomerralph »

Bob,

Paul's engine is truly a tribute to your skill as a builder, as well as all the work on the "jewelry". It is truly a beautiful engine.
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL
Under Construction
LE Pacific
Allen 10 Wheeler
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

How can I contact Mike Mc Cotter?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you should talk to Joe Tanski.

His (recently built as in 2007 or 2008) is really beautiful!

He advertises the Raritan in LS&ORR and pokes around here more than a little.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

New England Steam Corporation has drawings of Baker valve gear as applied to several classes of Maine Central steam locomotives. PM is you require PDF's of these. MEC 470 has Baker valve gear.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."