Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: Southern Railroad PS-4 Pacific Design Discussion

Post by Trainman4602 »

Here is a wheel that can be used. For a total of $80.00 plus shipping you would have a useable wheel. Unless you are attempting to build a museum quality both In and out then use it no one will criticize you for it.

It is 5 .750 in diameter in 1.6 its right on 43/ 7.5 = 5.733 to5.750 it will work fine.

Time is money unless you have an unlimited supply of both.

The wheel is available from Railroad Warehouse.
Attachments
C-2055.jpg
C-2055.jpg (12.91 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the lead.

AS they are Barry Hagues parts I am sure they are good. I will look into his catalog and see how they fit in as to sizes. I know from talking to him at LALS show that the frame spacing on his parts was more true to scale. My frame spacing was decided by the use of Barry Goldmanns cylinder casting which used a thinner and narrrower frame spacing. The bearing Journals and all the other parts will definitly work.

The wheels I will order as soon as I get home and check the play account. I have purchased a J series Bridgeport that I have to go pick up when I get home. Problem was I had to take a Jet 13x40 lathe in the deal so I have spent more than I wanted. I will need to sell the lathe locally to get back on budget for the project.

Interestingly I was up late in the hotel after work so I watched your vidieos on Photo Etching.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Frames generally run about six inches I have used this on all my locomotives. Any cylinder casting has to conform to the 7.5 track gauge therefore the centers are wider.

Things to remember when designing a locomotive for 7.5 or 7.25 track

As a supplier I had to take both gauges into consideration. The cylinders main bore and valve chamber bores must be designed for 7.5 gauge. The lead truck with the inside frame has to be for 7.25 gauge your cab and tender have to be wider to be in proportion with the wider cylinders I make my cab 15.750 wide, you can make it as much as 16 inch wide. When mounting the running boards the automatically come out wider because of the cylinders so then the cab as to be wider and the tender follows in proportion as well.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

The SuperScale castings belong to me, so if you decide you want them, send me a message.
Thanks for the help Dave.

Tim
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Came dragging home from Edwards Air Force Base today.

Found out why the UPS man was fussing about unloading the frame package off his truck. Not sure of the weight but it was a back breaker to haul it down the stairs to the basement and add it to the Kit pile that is starting to grow.
DSC_0200.JPG
Tomorrow I start trying to bring the Bridgeport and Lathe home from 40 miles away. Getting it wired up and running should eat up the rest of my summer.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Its amazing how much weight we lift for the locomotives we love... Pretty cool on getting those parts! The only thing more exciting than getting parts is bolting them together! (in my opinion) :D
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

These came in the mail today from Barry Hauge of Super Scale. He has them in his catalog as a item to be discontinued when the stock runs out. They are drop dead perfect in the horizontal spacing on the mount holes and only .003 in vertical spacing when laid over the scaled down frame drawings out of the Fitt book.

I have had a few modelers tell me his work is expensive but I must say looking at these photos that you get what you pay for.
LandM (10).jpg
LandM (9).jpg
LandM (12).jpg
I was able to make arrangements to start bringing the Mill and Late home. I looks like the rest of the summer and fall will be in getting the mill cleaned up and although it was running when I picked it up I have decided that my son and I will attack it as we did the Southbend and teardown for cleaning, lube and repaint. The Jet lathe is going on the market as I don't really have a need for it.
LandM (2).jpg
The mill is a 1973 model that has been in a mechanics barn shop. His hobby was old cars and although he had the mill for ten years he never bought any tooling for it exept a vice and one end mill. As I said it ran when I payed for it and hopfully it works out without too much more than a cleaning.
LandM (5).jpg
LandM (4).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Having fits with the rear frame extension drawing and generally working in the shop cleaning up the Mill.

Does anyone have a photo of how the extension was done on other models? The factory drawing is over complicated and I am trying to simplify the part to be able to machine it from stock and plate.

Have developed a like for the Jet lathe and have decided not to sell it right away.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Hey buddy. I have some drawings on the PS4 once offered by Klammoth Locomotive Works if you're interested, PM me
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
GeoStoudenmire

Post by GeoStoudenmire »

Pipescs,

Don't know if you have been on the "Southern Railfan" site, but here is the link to the "Pacific" photo page. Several of 1395 there.
http://southern.railfan.net/images/arch ... 2/462.html

Hope it helps.

George
Have A Great, Safe, and Fun Day!
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

HI,

We met at the LALS May meet and talked for some time. Re the Live Steam Mag. cover. Ed Spall was a member of the LALS at the time and the phot on the cover is looking toward the coaling tower which is still there. The yard has changed quite a bit. There were two PS-4 engines in the club at that time. Completed first was a black one built by Andy Andreus(?), now gone. It was completed first and like Ed's "Jolly Green Giant" it was made from Little Engines castings. Ed's had much more original material in it than Andy's. After Ed retired he moved to Coloma, CA (where Marshal found the first gold in central CA) and ran a good deal at the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers. I am glad to hear that someone is still enjoying Ed's loco as it was a nice one. Both engines caught the flavor of the PS-4s. Did you know that Bill Fitt started off with a contest to build a PS-4 in any gage to be completed in two years from the date of the series of acticles that later became the book that you have. I look forward to seeing you progress.

Best, Cary
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Hey Cary

I enjoyed my visit greatly when I was out last month. I was not able to get back out there for the fourth of July as we worked that weekend.

Send me a PM with your email address.

Not much going on with the PS-4 exept drawing the plans for the rear frame extension and I am working on a milling machine for the shop. It has a long way to go.

As far as making parts I am going to build the Brake frame assembly that is bolted between the frames.

still looking for its actual name.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American