Two more Live Steamers pass on

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

ALCOSTEAM

Two more Live Steamers pass on

Post by ALCOSTEAM » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:40 am

It was brought to my attention this evening that we have lost two more of live steam's great achievers.

Clint Ensworth passed away earlier this month on November 4th

Paul Brien of Nashville has also passed away. I believe funeral arrangements are being made for this coming monday.

tim

gwrdriver

Re: Two more Live Steamers pass on

Post by gwrdriver » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:58 am

ALCOSTEAM wrote:Paul Brien of Nashville has also passed away. I believe funeral arrangements are being made for this coming monday. - tim
A graveside service only will be held on Monday Nov. 29th, at 10:00am Calvary Cemetary, Nashville.

Paul Brien was my first mentor. We met through a mutual friend in 1966 when as a 19 year old college student I went looking for "live steamers" in my area, . . . to try to become one. Paul did what I now know to be a very unusual thing, he took me under his wing and invited me to come to his garage and work in his shop two or three evenings a week to learn basic workshop practices. He was also a subscriber to Model Engineer Magazine and every week he would hand me six or eight issues from the 1960s and say "Read these." Those readings formed the basis of a life-long interest in model engineering, and Paul and I, along with half a dozen others who are no longer with us, went on to found the Mid-South Live Steamers.

Paul started working life as a 16-year old machinist at Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft in Nashville and ended up as Chief of QC at one of the south's largest aerospace tool & die works. He had a couple of abilities that to me always always stood out. The first was that he could make things faster, with no loss of quality and accuracy, than anybody else I knew and secondly he could walk away from a day in his shop and his hands would only require a quick wipe with a paper towel. For me a day in the workshop meant I would be grimey to my elbows. Paul relied on the basics to get things done and for many years his machines were only a well-worn 1950s vintage Atlas 12" lathe and a 1940s Burke #4 bench mill. Although I went on to acquire a workshop that was better equipped than Paul's I was always aware of this, . . . it wasn't the machines that produced the results he got, and that in the end if Paul didn't need it then I probably didn't need it either. R.I.P.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:37 am

Very sad to hear this. I met Paul a couple of times and he was always a gentleman!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"

B&OBob

Post by B&OBob » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:28 pm

I did not know Paul, or even hear of him, but from what Harry said I wish I had.

Bob

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:34 pm

I am reminded of something that happened many years ago, while I was attending a meet of the New Jersey Live Steamers. One of my friends was taking pictures of the people at the meet....and not one of the models. When I asked him about this his reply was...."I'm not that worried about the models, they will be here next year, but their builders may not be."
Keith

Fender

Post by Fender » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:04 pm

I don't remember exactly when I first met Paul, but it would have been in the early seventies at the MSLS track in Columbia, TN. He was always a wealth of knowledge and willing to help and advise the newer live steamers. I also had the chance to visit his home and shop in Nashville. For a while he was building locomotive boilers, using code materials. He stored the steel plates in his garage. I think his main goal was to make well-built boilers available to others in the hobby. Actually, the boiler for my mikado was built by Paul, and after I bought the loco, he was able to provide me with the original drawings.
He will certainly be missed.
Dan Watson

uncle jerd

Post by uncle jerd » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 am

Paul was wonderful and such a great guy.

I was nearing graduation from Tennessee Tech and had begun chopping out components for a 7 1/2" 0-6-0 in the college machine tool technology lab. I met Paul at a Mid-South meet in Columbia, and he invited me to his home in Nashville. Bud Bartholemew had just passed away and his widow was selling out his workshop and tooling. Paul drove me over there and talked with Mrs. Bartholemew. She let me purchase a bunch of things that I needed then (and still use all these years later) to finish up that locomotive.

Paul was always right there with advice and tips whenever I needed it. What a great guy and we sure will miss him.

GWD was right about him being able to keep clean in the shop--it was an amazing sight to see.

RIP Paul-thanks so much for everything