Some TSME Historic Photos

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Carrdo

Some TSME Historic Photos

Post by Carrdo »

Some of you will recognize the locomotives and the builders in these TSME historic photos.
Attachments
TSME (28).jpg
TSME (24).jpg
TSME (22).jpg
Steve Bratina

Re: Some TSME Historic Photos

Post by Steve Bratina »

Don, I would say the first pic is of Art Ellis' pacific, Art Jone's 2-8-0 and Al Greig's B&A tanker. The Hudson ,I think, belongs to a guy from the Windsor area but I can't remember the name but my old chum Murray does. I will ask him.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Steve, you are right on as these photos came from Art Ellis who still comes to the TSME meetings from time to time. And the Al. Grigg B&A tanker is just 15 minutes from here.

These photos were all taken at one of the Milton steam shows probably in the late 70's.

Would like to find out about the NYC Hudson as I don't recognize the builder.

Also, I don't know if the Coventry President Pacific is the original McJannett (MPP) Pacific or if it is some other builder. But there is Art Ellis and Harry Allin in the background. If it is then Carl Hoffman had it previously and originally it came from a builder in the Cincinnati area.
Attachments
TSME (18).jpg
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Hi Steve and Don'

Not sure about Art's Loco, you are right about Al Grigg's B & A but Art Joneses loco was an 0-8-0 Caribou. The head above 5300's tender looks like Chet Brown from St. Catharines, perhaps Murray may recall where Chet's NYC Hudson got to. I don't recall the Traction Engine so am at a loss with the Hudson, possibly Milton and Chet's?

Regards

Mike Green
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

There is a photo of Chet Brown and his Hoffman Hudson with Walschaerts valve gear in the 1970's TSME historic photos.

The locomotive pictured here is a Langworthy/Yankee Shop type with the J-1e type of Baker valve gear although it doesn't have the heavy ring smokebox door casting which Yankee Shop supplied. Many builders (including myself) did not like the heavy ring so they machined it away or made a more prototype lighter smokebox door without the ring.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

I think Art stretched the 0-8-0 to a 2-8-0 Mike but I would need to find an old slide of it I took at Milton when I was about 12 years old. After some better peroozing with my glasses off this time, you will notice Jack green's Hall infront of the nose of the B&A Tanker. This engine ended up with a gent in Kirkwall Ontario. Murray has a nap after lunch and before dinner so I haven't called him yet but if one of you guys have the 25th Anniversary book from the Milton Steam show, I remember seeing the Hudson in there with the owner standing right behind it. I gave mine away to a guy looking for traction engine pictures.
Hoffman's Pacific had a diferent position for the safety valves and I have a slide of this engine also. If I could find those slides, there is a picture my dad took when I was "cute" (a looooong time ago) standing infront of a guy watering his Juliett at the Milton show. The guy is Brian Lawson.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here are the pictures I took at Milton many years ago
Attachments
Art Jones with his (2 or 0) -8-0.
Art Jones with his (2 or 0) -8-0.
B&O Pacific and Bob Roy (white hat) looking at Griegs B&A tanker.
B&O Pacific and Bob Roy (white hat) looking at Griegs B&A tanker.
Brian Lawson working on Rex Smith's Jubilee. Art Jone's looks on.
Brian Lawson working on Rex Smith's Jubilee. Art Jone's looks on.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here are the other pictures.
Attachments
Me at Milton Ontario waaaay back. I wonder where this loco ended up?
Me at Milton Ontario waaaay back. I wonder where this loco ended up?
Here is me with Brian Lawson working on his brother's engine. I would end up meeting him 20 years later in Windsor at the meet. My mom thought I was a little Prince and other famly members called me a ROYAL P.I.T.A!
Here is me with Brian Lawson working on his brother's engine. I would end up meeting him 20 years later in Windsor at the meet. My mom thought I was a little Prince and other famly members called me a ROYAL P.I.T.A!
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Hi Steve'

In your middle picture, thats my Simplex behind Art's Caribou. You may be right on a stretch job but the last time I saw Caribou it was still an 0-8-0. Thats a long time ago.

Mike
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

After searching, I found a copy of the picture from the 1985 Programme. Maybe someone can identify the builder. The picture was probably from the same time as Don's picture as this programme was filled with pictures from the past 25 years.
Attachments
Milton Steam Era.jpg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

The Case traction engine model beside the engine is probably this one. Judging by the headlight and the fancy stack ring, I think it is a close match.
Attachments
Steam Era 1967.jpg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

The B&O Pacific is Carl's engine. I was looking through the May 1968 Live Steam Magazine and it is a match. Ted McJannett got it some time later. In the article titled "Steam In Kitchener" it states that Carl started building the Pacific in 1962 and it took him four years to finish. It was fairly new when Art took his picture at Milton.