Railroads in Hawaii?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Railroads in Hawaii?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks again, guys, for your responses. I've spent the day with guidebooks and so far it looks like we'll do Pearl Harbor and then go to the big island for the rest of the trip. She wants to snorkel. I'm a mountain man; I hate the water (as W.C. Fields once said, "Water -- never touch the stuff. Fish make love in it."). I swim only when required to prevent drowning. And I can sunburn through a shirt. So she's agreed to do the snorkel thing by herself while I stay on the beach and do something else. But the volcano will be good and we'll hike to some waterfalls, take a whale-watching trip, and a ride on a tour submarine to look at the fishies. I'm also thinking about going up the Saddle Road which goes up to some 13,000 feet where the Really Big telescopes are (Keck and others). There is also a sky-watching tour I'm looking into. But there may still be too much snow in March to make it all the way across, even with a rented 4WD. (Yes, folks, snow in Hawaii. It's 13,000 feet up there.) We shall see. There's too much to see on any one island for one trip so anything we do will be a compromise against the available time.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Flew around the big island in an airplane...so many places I saw that I wanted to land and go check out...you'll have a great time. Enjoy!
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Boiler Builder

Best Kept Secret in Steam

Post by Boiler Builder »

The Grove Farm Homestead Museum locomotive collection:
Click on photo to visit Kauai Trains.Com
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Do NOT waste your time on the Dole Plantation train. It is a kiddie ride powered by a diesel steam-outline engine. The only reason to go on the train is to see the pineapple fields.
Matt Mason