Restoring a MEG steam 'Wendy'

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Restoring a MEG steam 'Wendy'

Post by Harlock »

This evening ran the line from the valve to the burner. The coat hanger template technique I picked up here on Chaski works really well. Fit perfectly the first time, no adjustments needed. Just get the two ends to match the coat hangar and it's all good. Much easier than fit-checking as you go.
Attachments
IMG_20131202_194427_1-sm.jpg
IMG_20131202_194220_1-sm.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Mike-

Post by Mike- »

I am looking for drawings if anyone can help.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 62#p297162 :D
mblaisdell

Post by mblaisdell »

Quick Question....Is the truck allowed to swivel? The one pick looks like welds on the truck side frames the bolster.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Harlock,

Just looking through this thread. Nice job on your restoration! Here are a couple of photos of a similar 0-4-0, built by Baldwin Locomotive works and shipped new to the Waimanolo Sugar Company, Oahu, Hawaii in 1883. It ran to sometime prior to WW2. Currently on display at the Penn State RR museum, in Strassburg, Pa.

Oops, just noticed it's an 0-4-2t! I assume the rear box is fuel storage. Interestingly, this was the third self motorized vehicle to be used in Hawaii.
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Hello Glenn,

The Olomana is one of three locomotives imported from Hawaii by Gerald Best, and was Best's personal engine. It was donated to the Smithsonian, who then I believe traded it to the PRR for other equipment. (the problem with donating to museums is you never know if your donation will be displayed, left on a dusty shelf or traded away, unless you stipulate clauses in your donation!)

The other two locomotives are the famous Chloe (formerly 'Pokaa') owned by Ward Kimball and 'The Doctor' formerly owned by Francis Moseley of model Turbogenerator fame.

The Chloe, along with most of Ward's other equipment is owned by the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, CA. It is currently at Hillcrest Shops in Reedley CA for restoration to operation. It was actually fired up a few weeks ago and ran under its own power, but the original lap seam boiler is not conducive to operating for the public, so it will be replaced with a new one. Hopefully the old boiler will be sectioned or kept as-is and placed on display.

'The Doctor' is now known as Deanna, and has been restored to operating condition by her current owner George Thagard. She operates at various 3ft gauge tracks in California including Ardenwood, The Pacific Coast Railroad at the Santa Margarita Ranch, and George's very small home railroad.

At one time during the 1950s and 1960s it was easy to get plantation engines if you could afford the shipping. That narrow window at the end of steam allowed for a lot of good little locos to be saved. The smaller ones were the most popular as they are the easiest to manage and transport.

I sure haven't done anything with this thread in a long time. I have made a lot more improvements to the MEG, but I am at the point where I am ready to build a new chassis that incorporates many improvements from the original design.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

mblaisdell wrote:Quick Question....Is the truck allowed to swivel? The one pick looks like welds on the truck side frames the bolster.
Are you referring to the tender truck? Yes, it was able to swivel. It sat under the tender like a regular truck on a piece of rolling stock.

That tender is long gone. I replaced it with a two-seat gondola car. It turned out that the water in the saddle tank was more than enough to run for quite a while, even at Train Mountain.

-Mike
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mike, Thanks for the info and update on the three loco's. Iam glad someone posted on your original thread and brought it to the top of the list again. Very enjoyable to read through your development and work. I really enjoy your dad and your contributions to the hobby. Motivating!

I'd love to build your engine or the Olomana in 12" gauge, but it's difficult to impossible to source larger scale components these days. I have a very iffy lead on some old patterns - stored in a box on a barn on the the family farm decades ago. Still waiting for the remote owners to make a visit to see if they are still in existence. One can hope... Oh to born rich and have the ability to dally around with the larger scales!

Cheers
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
mblaisdell

Post by mblaisdell »

Mike,
Do you have a picture of the gondola? I was curious as to how one would sit on the gondola and still reach the controls.

I am still working on my Wendy but looking ahead to the tender or another solution.

Thanks for your feedback and jumping back on an old post!

MIke
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Here's a couple of pictures that show the gondola with engineers, myself and a friend. It seats two or one with propane tanks if you need that.

Unlike the dolly-tender there is no footwell so you sit a bit higher but it hasn't been a problem. I have a cutout in the roof as well as a roof hatch for the gauge so I can see everything.

For a complete build log, see "Gondola Car in a Day" here:

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... 33&t=98329

If I were going to do it again I'd make it 6ft instead of 5 ft. But I did build another gon recently that is the same thing but 6ft, for riders.

Everything for the wood body can be purchased at home depot. Was a 'fast build' car rather than one of our two-year fine scale car builds.
Attachments
12-02-24_bitter-creek-9216.jpg
14-08-07_Bitter-Creek-1182.jpg
15-06-24_Train_Mountain_Triennial-0552.jpg
mblaisdell

Post by mblaisdell »

Mike,
The pictures answered so many questions!

Thanks!
mblaisdell

Post by mblaisdell »

Mike,
In one of the many posts you have on the Wendy restro you mentioned that steam dome as being not located in a good position. I am close to starting on my boiler and would like to know if you can offer any advise as to changes from the original plan that would make the boiler better for "Americanizing" the look.

Thanks!
Mike
NickMel

Post by NickMel »

Looks amazing Mike! Great work on the restoration.
People enjoy the effects of phenq and so will you.