Cab light fixtures

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Cab light fixtures

Post by Harlock »

last electrical related post for a bit. During my Radio Shack run I happened upon these great little fixtures that take the old fashioned screw in bulb. What fun! I bought two. They come with self threading screws you could use to attach to a wood cab easily, or replace with countersunk machine screws for metal.

These bulbs are much brighter, I'm under-exposing to show detail. One is sufficient, two will light the place up nice.
Attachments
11-01-13_headlight-dimmer-2389.jpg
11-01-13_headlight-dimmer-2392.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Greg_Lewis

Re: Cab light fixtures

Post by Greg_Lewis »

By the way, Mouser electronics has 5300 listings for miniature lamps and holders, more than I've seen anywhere else. Much to choose from.

http://www.mouser.com/
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
FredR

Post by FredR »

I think these are the same bulb I used at one point in the cab of my Atlantic. They were good except for one drawback and that was they seemed to burn out due to vibration. I even tried running them at half voltage but still seemed to burn out fast. I just kept a good supply handy.
Fred
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

here's some updated pictures. The wiring shown on the underside of the cab roof is invisible when the cab is on the engine. The brass tube with the 90 degree bend carries it down from the roof, and the wire exits the bottom of the tube just behind a ball cap, and immediately goes through the floor to a disconnect. There is a 1/8 slot milled in the end of the tube to facilitate the wires sneaking out behind the cap.

The brass tube and cap were left over from handrails.

Fred: interesting, I'll see what happens. I know at least one person who uses those for a headlight. They could be replaced with warm LEDs later if need be, but I like the real thing. :)
Attachments
11-01-20_cab-lights-2500.jpg
11-01-20_cab-lights-2495.jpg
11-01-20_cab-lights-2493.jpg
11-01-20_cab-lights-2494.jpg
Last edited by Harlock on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

And today's project was making a thing to hold the disconnect with, upside down under the frame.

The length also protects the delicate solder pins. The joints will be shrink-tubed over to keep them from touching the inside of the holder.

For scale the screw is 4-40.
Attachments
back side.
back side.
connector side.
connector side.
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

Oh oh! I better get started on my front coupler install, looks like you will be leading the next double header!
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

Very nice, I am a big fan of wiring that is hidden away from view. I did the same thing to my cab. Also, I’m glad you’re using incandescents instead of LEDs because they will really bring out the warm rich tones of the oak and brass.

The only potential problem I know of with those screw type bulbs is that they may have a tendency to back themselves out of the socket in an environment that subjects them to a lot of vibration. That’s probably why the auto industry adopted bayonet style and wedge style lamp bases. Of course its not a big deal to screw them back in, but it might become annoying if it happens too frequently.
Goose

Post by Goose »

I have a similar fixture in my 3" scale switcher, but never had such an experience. And this engine operated a couple of hundred miles during the Sinsheim-indoor-shows in the past, and the track was sometimes really rough and worn out.
With a 2 axle engine, their was a lot of rocking and shaking, but never a failure of the screwed in bulbs in the headlight and the cablight.
Greetings from Germany
Hubert The Goose
http://www.7-plus-ngm.org/pcr
http://www.7-plus-ngm.org
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Good news everyone! I got the cab light circuit all wired to the rest of the engine (see this thread about my headlight for the information on the rest of the wiring job: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=88831 )

and here are some photos of it in use! The two screw in 200mw Edison bulbs are perfect. They are not too bright for night running, and not too dim either. I really lucked out. also, having one light on each side of the cab really makes it nice and even, nice and pleasing.

The last thing to do is add one more light for the gauge glass...brainstorm for that coming in a separate post.

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
11-02-27_lighting-6174.jpg
11-02-27_lighting-6178.jpg
11-02-27_lighting-6180.jpg
The cab lights as seen at deep dusk at SBSL.
The cab lights as seen at deep dusk at SBSL.
11-02-26_Sage_Brush_short_line_spring-2011-6214.jpg
AusDan

Post by AusDan »

I ran those screw in bulbs in the same type holder...worked well, have a nice yellow shine as your pic shows, but did find them unscrewing allot, either around the track or in the back of the trailer.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Mike
Nice job on the cab lighting. I use the same bulb as well. I like the way the incandescent bulb looks.
Too often in today’s world builders tend to use LED lighting which is a white light rather than a yellow warmer looking glow the incandescent bulbs give off.
I have also observed that builders tend to make the cab and the head light to bright blinding and oncoming traffic.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

Have you had a chance to use the lights out on the line?