Cylinder drain cocks?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Railroad Rick

Cylinder drain cocks?

Post by Railroad Rick »

Hi Steamers,

I just mounted the cylinders (2.25 x 3.5 inches) to the frame of my first engine which
is a NG 2-4-0.
When I finished bolting them on I started thinking about the cylinder drain cocks that
go on the bottom of the cylinders.
Since I haven't had any experience with them I was wanting some feedback on the
types such as manual vs automatic, as well as who supplies them?

Full steam ahead,
RXR Rick :D
Harlock

Re: Cylinder drain cocks?

Post by Harlock »

Aaah...a very well covered topic on Chaski. Harness the braintrust by going here: http://tinyurl.com/46xpvzs (I shortened the URL because Chaski itself ironically didn't like some the characters in it, messes with the BBcoding.)

You'll see your own thread on top :)

Lots of good stuff in there. Check some of those out first then post any further questions.... :)

Digging back a ways, here is a good one that I myself started that got some drawings posted to it. http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=81068

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

Railroad Rick wrote:NG 2-4-0....manual vs automatic
A narrow gauge engine of that size will almost certainly have slide valves, right? Old engines would have manual cocks, which are just fine. If you forget to open the cocks, the water pressure in the cylinder will just lift the slide valve and spit the excess out the stack. This happens to me all the time, especially when starting out from the steaming bay with the cylinders full of condensation. I've learned to give the cocks time to drain, as it takes a while! Four hours to polish brass, and five seconds for the hot water from the stack to splotch it all up! :roll:

Cylinder type valves could be damaged by water compression, so they usually have automatic-type cocks (wild generalization). I have lots of pictures of engines steaming around with their "automatic" cylinder cocks open. Rust scale from steel boilers locks them up tight...
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

There is a definite downside to steam operated automatic cylinder cocks, they do seem to get clogged up quite a bit. We have the SuperScale auto-manual steam operated cocks on the MEG, we'll see how those go. Those automatically open when forced by a water hammer action, and you can also command them to open by shutting off the steam control pressure. Steam must be applied to keep them closed. An upside is that you can never forget to leave them closed when the engine is cold.

The ones on my Chloe are mechanical, they are rotary valves with an adjustable linkage and something we came up with, improved from a 2009 Live Steam article about cylinder cocks mentioned in that thread I linked. They are very reliable but the mechanism hangs low and is delicate - because of that we have added a strike plate, which has saved its bacon numerous times, mostly when loading and unloading over uneven track panel, and the occasional but rare de-railment. The cock bodies themselves have a bevel where the hole is, rather than an angled tube hanging down. This is because the ground clearance on a Chloe is nonexistent.

Bill shields has some good designs for a manual cylinder cock that he is usually willing to email.

-M
Attachments
09-06-15_Chloe-8155.jpg
09-06-15_Chloe-8160.jpg
09-06-15_Chloe-8169.jpg
09-06-15_Chloe-8171.jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Here is what i have on my Allen American
real simple to make and have been in service for 8 years so far
Attachments
2009-11-16 16.51.21.jpg
2009-11-16 16.51.29.jpg
2009-11-16 16.51.05.jpg
16.JPG
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
David_T

Post by David_T »

Always the problem with NG engines. If you have not made any holes, do not put them on the bottom. Angle them from off center and get some extra ground clearance. Compare between ground clearance with them straight down and if they are 20-30 degrees off centerline. Also do not forget they are already further out from the track centerline and the builders of the track may have put something out there to knock them off.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

David_T wrote:Always the problem with NG engines. If you have not made any holes, do not put them on the bottom. Angle them from off center and get some extra ground clearance. Compare between ground clearance with them straight down and if they are 20-30 degrees off centerline. Also do not forget they are already further out from the track centerline and the builders of the track may have put something out there to knock them off.
i did that on my Chloe only to find that even with them angled out they still hit the rail head and break off. on the Chloe, however, they are very very close to the track.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Skidplate fixes all. here's some photos. It's practically invisible under normal viewing conditions.

Saved the bacon a couple of times already. If the engine de-rails, it just slides on the skid, which goes all the way across. And it's practically invisible under normal viewing conditions, doesn't take away from the engine at all.

Sorry bout the mess in the close ups, the brass hasn't been polished after the last couple of runs.
Attachments
11-01-23_skid-plate-2510.jpg
11-01-23_skid-plate-2511.jpg
can you spot the skidplate?
can you spot the skidplate?
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Your steam engine has landing gear...interesting... 8)
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Andrew Pugh wrote:Your steam engine has landing gear...interesting... 8)
Or Skis.... :D
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Cbrew,

I would like to build some cylinder drains like yours for my Allen Mogul. Would you send me a PM and let me know if your drawings are available?

Thanks,

JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

JD Johnson wrote:Cbrew,

I would like to build some cylinder drains like yours for my Allen Mogul. Would you send me a PM and let me know if your drawings are available?

Thanks,

JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian
PM sent :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.