Moving to texas

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

singleshotman

Moving to texas

Post by singleshotman »

Are there any live steam clubs in Dallas, my wife has been offered a great job with Boeing, and they will pay relocation and even buy our house here in southern CA if it does not sell within 90 days.So i guess we can't lose, so i guess it's off to Texas-i'm retired but my wife is 56, really good jobs are hard to find at that age.Cannot turn down a deal this good.i hate to leave CA, but what can you do? My wifes father was in the military so they moved every year or so she's used to it.I have been here fifteen years.BuT CA is dying on the vine, i grew up here, moved away but came back.
Harlock

Re: Moving to texas

Post by Harlock »

There seem to be a couple. Anetta Valley & Western - http://www.avwrr.org/ and the Able Springs & North Texas.

A little farther out (less than a few hundred miles) is also two nice private tracks, Wimberley, Blanco & Southern and Commanche & Indian Gap.

Seems you'd want to get ahold of these guys: http://www.swlsonline.org/ To start with. When you go to the Able Springs site you end up there. They seemed to be plugged into the various private tracks in the area in a sort of loose network.

I can also potentially put you in touch with Nick Edwards of the WB&C if you don't have any luck.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
FredR

Post by FredR »

Understand that these are private tracks. Able Springs in part of the SWLS club. Wimberley, which is the finest track in Texas, is typically 'invite only'. However, the owner Nick Edwards is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Another club, Houston Area Live Steamers (WWW<dot>HALS<dot>ORG) has a great track, however, it would be a long drive for you since Dallas and Houston might as well be on the opposite side of the world.

Fred
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
slsf1060

Post by slsf1060 »

Hey Singleshot,

Give me a shout when you're able, and we'll get you introduced at the AS&NT. It's the closest 7 1/2 track to Dallas, and we've got a great bunch of guys that meet out there Wednesdays and Saturdays. The SWLS Spring Business meet is actually this weekend out at Terry McGrath's beautiful Annetta track. Looks like it will be a great meet.

I'm still SWLS Pres untill then, when the new officers take over.

Darren McNeely
Darren McNeely

and the sons of Pullman Porters, and the sons of engineers,
ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

www.swlsonline.org
sbalkum

Post by sbalkum »

The Southwestern Live Steamers hold about 6 meets per year at the private tracks of members throughout Texas and southern Oklahoma. We also hold joint meets with HALS and LOCO. The variety of tracks is the club's strength. You definitely should take up Darren's offer to get involved at AS&NT and other SWLS meets.

The Comanche & Indian Gap and Wimberley Blanco & Southern are certainly some of the invitational gems of the state and worth the trips.

Stephen Balkum