First time builder.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

mjahn

Re: First time builder.

Post by mjahn »

I concur with Fred and Tim. These machines take time to build so if you don't build the one you want you may not get back round to the one you want... I know a couple builders who've talked themselves out of the design they really want. Don't be scared of building a big locomotive as your first build!

Mattaniah Jahn
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

jump in with both feet and build an old northern or Hudson.......I did......and loving every minute of the progress. nWith Mike's new revamped castings doing those is a breeze and the print redraws are top notch.

Pamela
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

If you want decent sized loco or a good puller there is no reason to build something as complicated as a 4-8-4 or shay in 1/8 scale. 2-4-0, 2-4-2, 0-4-2-T etc. locos are becoming very popular in 2-1/2=12" or even 3-1/2=12" scale for 7-1/2" gauge track. That works out to about 1/5 scale and 1/3 scale, roughly! These are basically locomotives in which the prototype was 36" or 24" track gauge. You end up with a 300 to 700 pound loco and only have to make six wheels, for example, on an 0-4-2-T and no tender trucks either! A lot of money and aggravation can be saved not buying all those model pipe fittings and valves and gauges and such also, as standard 1/8 and 1/4 pipe is appropriate and readily available!
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Check out this Yahoo Group for Allen Models. A treasure trove of info.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllenLocos/

You will also see my Wabash Mogul #569 and lots of photos.

BGBill
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
FredR

Post by FredR »

Who's that moderator?
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Dale Jay Dennis is the moderator.

It's a fairly low volume but targeted group. Very useful for Allen owners. I've been on it throughout the construction of the Chloe and it yielded some good information.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
jb bergman

Post by jb bergman »

You guys, ( and gal) are great! Had a great conversation with Mike from "Little Engines", We talked abount engineer size and comfort. We talked about my shops capabilities too. Now I would like to discuss the 2 1/2 scale locos. I might be interested in Tom Artzbergers Rio #20!
Anyone build one? What else is out there?
I am having a great time with this. Great advice so far. I will only build that which appeals to me. Thanks to everyone.
I plan on going to the Midsouth Live Steamers meet next weekend, just to get around a track again. I used to go to the Maricopa track years ago, any excuse to go! That's when I lived in Phoenix.
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!
A very grateful, JB Bergman
kvom

Post by kvom »

I've recently seen Kevin Doe's 2.5" scale narrow gauge engine in action, and it's a really impressive piece of work. Kevin told me he took 3 years of close to full-time work building it, so that's a consideration. It also weighs over half a ton loaded. With tender and cars he uses an enclose trailer to haul it to the tracks.

So things to think about, aside from an engine you think looks good, is time to build, cost of materials, and transport.

I'm building the little Kozo A3 in 7.5" gauge (with build thread here), and I think it will still take me the best part of two years, with about $4K invested (having the boiler built). Of course, I'm not the experienced machinist that you are.

Our club, the CSP&P in Canton, GA, is having a meet th weekend of May 13. There will be some larger scale engines running if you want to make a field trip.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

jb bergman wrote:You guys, ( and gal) are great! Had a great conversation with Mike from "Little Engines", We talked abount engineer size and comfort. We talked about my shops capabilities too. Now I would like to discuss the 2 1/2 scale locos. I might be interested in Tom Artzbergers Rio #20!
Anyone build one? What else is out there?
I am having a great time with this. Great advice so far. I will only build that which appeals to me. Thanks to everyone.
I plan on going to the Midsouth Live Steamers meet next weekend, just to get around a track again. I used to go to the Maricopa track years ago, any excuse to go! That's when I lived in Phoenix.
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!
A very grateful, JB Bergman
a friend in south Alabama is building the RGS-20. it is a nice size engine, not too much bigger than 1.5" scale but still easily transportable. the RGS-20 is about 6K for castings and Marty Knox built his boiler. his name is Pete Machin and he will be at Mid South; look him up. Kevin's K-27 is a lot to deal with and costs about 30K for all the castings.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
jb bergman

Post by jb bergman »

Hello everyone,

Well, after much research and internal debate, I have decided on the Little Engines, Pacific 7.5 gauge. I am really looking forward to this project. I have waited about 30 years to start. I want to thank everyone of you that contacted me with ideas and opinions. I look foward to new friends and building advice.
JB Bergman
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

I may have met you at Sugar Farm in the past. I should have read your posts more closely, Coffee hasn't kicked in or maybe I need another cup. Check your messages. Andy
jb bergman

Post by jb bergman »

Andy,
You were (are) the HVAC guy? We went and looked at your lathe together before you moved, right.
JB Bergman