which CAD program is good for live steam modelling?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Swtools

which CAD program is good for live steam modelling?

Post by Swtools »

I'm looking for a CAD program to model the locomotive project I am starting on. Here is the short list
of desired capabilities:
  • support for rotational and sliding elements and linkage, so clearance and other design factors for valve gear can be modeled and verified
    3D and solids modelling
    architectural design (e.g. workshop additions, templates etc.)
    Affordable
What other capabilities are important that might be worth including in the list, if not all CAD programs have them?

I've seen several posts that recommend Autocad, but which version? Autodesk Inventor, or Autodesk Autocad? Does Inventor support architectural design?
www.chaski.com
Mike Walsh

Re: which CAD program is good for live steam modelling?

Post by Mike Walsh »

Autodesk Autocad works fine if you're going for 2d. I have the 2004 edition and it still does the job.

I've used Inventor and find it to be an intriguing tool. I don't have a copy of it (learned a bit about it on a co-op), but if you can master the program, I feel it would be a powerful tool. Affordable too.

If you want the ultimate.. Solidworks. I have a copy of that, and it has proven most useful.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I use SolidWorks. SW has pretty much destroyed AutoCAD 3D, I don't know anyone using the latter. AutoCAD 3D doesn't have a very good reputation in the industry I work in. (Aerospace)

There is a less expensive knock-off of solidworks called Alibre. http://www.alibre.com/ Back when I used it 5 years ago, I found that it was very similar, easy to use, but wasn't 100% compatible with Solidworks so we did not end up using it at work. We are 100% solidworks now, plus a few senior engineers who use AutoCAD 2D (now AutoCAD lite) because that's what they're good with and used to.

So with that in mind, for hobby use you might check out Alibre, if cost is a major issue. A standalone license of solidworks standard is not cheap (a few thousand dollars.)

I only use it at home because each workstation license comes with the allowance for each employee to install it on two computers, one at work one at home or laptop, etc. So through my job I am able to use it at home at no additional cost.

I would not reccomend going 2D at this point, but if you wanted to do that, you could download the free DraftSight software from Dassault. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -software/ It is a knock off of AutoCAD 2D, down to the command line and everything.

In general, if you can afford it, solidworks. If you can't, Alibre.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Agree with Harlock....

I go back to, and trained on Lockheed (mainframe) CADAM back in the mid-1980's. Used AutoCAD until I quit doing CAD work around 2000. I continued using AutoCAD for home use, albeit the AutoCAD LT version.

I bought Alibre Expert five years ago.

If you are only using the software for hobby/home projects, it is hard to justify the expense of SolidWorks.

I would have liked to have gone with SolidWorks. but at a cost for the basic package at that time being around $3000, plus annual maintenance costs of around $1300/$1400, The expense wasn't justified..... Being it was for personal use and compatibility/file transfer between multiple companies who standardized on Solidworks not required

Alibre Expert does have "Motion", which does provide motion simulation.

For valve gear simulation, I would definitely recommend using Charlie Dockstader's "Valve Gear Simulator" program, which is freeware, instead of 3D solid modelling program.

LL
Last edited by LivingLegend on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Forgot to mention.....

Solid Edge (a competitor to Solid Works) also has a free 2D drafting program, which is a counterpart to the Dassault program Harlock mentioned above and provided a link to.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
baggo

Post by baggo »

Another vote for Alibre. I've been using AutoCad 2000 for years but recently decided it was time to move into 3D so gave Alibre a try. I find it easier to draw complicated items such as frames in AutoCad and then import into Alibre to convert to 3D. I find the drawing part of Alibre a bit tedious at times but am getting used to it now.

3D is definitely the way to go. You can 'build' your loco on the PC and find any errors etc. before cutting metal. Once you've got the 3D model, the package produces the 2D drawings automatically. The motion addon for Alibre is useful but you can manage without it. You can still rotate parts and produce the required motion by dragging with the mouse.

For valve gear analysis (Stephenson, Walschaert,Baker) I use the programs by Bill Hall and Alan Wallace. I find those less complicated to set up than Charlies as there is less information needed to be input.

John
Attachments
Chassis Assembly.jpg
Rebuilt Merchant Navy.jpg
Secretary of The National 2½" Gauge Association
Member of North West Liecestershire SME

http://www.modeng.johnbaguley.info
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i've been using AutoCad Lt97 for many years and designed the engine on the left with it. you can easily verify fit of parts by drawing the 3 different views of an object. i also have AutoCad Inventor but didn't find it of any use for what i do. it makes pretty pictures but isn't worth the effort. 2D is so quick to use.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
BClem

Post by BClem »

I use KeyCreator/KeyMachinist by Kubotek. The drawings are 3D then the toolpaths are run with KeyMachinist and can be proofed with MetaCut....

This is a Baldwin 8-10-D inside frame driver drawn from the blueprint. The tire will probably be included in the machine part.
Attachments
BaldwinDriver.jpg
BaldwinToolpaths.jpg
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

I too went with Alibre, the Professional version. We use SolidWorks at work and I asked "the question" to the guy that does our engineering drawings and he originally said go with SolidWorks but when I asked him how do I get it and what does it cost, I nearly had a heart attack. Price last time I looked was $4300 a seat and they make it sort of mysterious on how to purchase it, you have to go through a reseller. I didn't want it that bad. I got a deal on Alibre with a support package that included videos, and manuals on how to use it. Very, very helpful.

FWIW, the one particular feature that your looking for is the concept of the part/assembly. You create a part and that part becomes part of an assembly. I found that there are a tremendous amount of 3d modeling tools at reasonable prices but only a few that possess the part/assembly concept. Whatever you do, if your not experienced in CAD or other drawing, be prepared for a learning curve, even if you do have prior experience. $.02

Ken-
Steamin

Post by Steamin »

kenrinc wrote:...if your not experienced in CAD or other drawing, be prepared for a learning curve...
I'll second that statement! I can pencil and paper sketch quickly and think 3-D in my head, but making the computer do it requires a new mindset!

Steamin
(who is still learning to draw basic shapes in 3D...)
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

I have been using Bobcad for years. It is inexpensive and I can write programs for my CNC equipment. The programs for all the parts for the SF 2900 were designed and written on Bobcad.

LSGOD
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hey Bclem

I to am a Keycreator user, started back in the dos days (91 or 92) when it was called Cadkey. Glad to see someone else using it.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"