Firebox-tender spacing?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

kvom

Firebox-tender spacing?

Post by kvom »

Odd question perhaps.

I did a trial fit of my boiler and chassis last night, and the firebox door is less than 2" from the back edge of the rear footplate. That is a lot closer than most locomotives I've seen. Since I haven't made the drawbar yet, I'm wondering if I need to make it fairly long to make stoking easier and to be able to see the fire while seated on the tender.
cbrew

Re: Firebox-tender spacing?

Post by cbrew »

no idea what you are building, but this is a common spacing for the "Allen" locos.
I would just wait and maybe make a couple different drawbars so you can make those adjustments during the first run.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

You will have additional clearance between the door and tender if an Allen as the tender does not sit flush with the buffer beam.

Brian
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

consider more than seeing - consider getting a shovel in.

sometimes 'to scale' just doesn't work with Gulliver sitting on the tender, trying to peer / shovel coal into the firebox.

On my propane fired loco, I installed a glass port-hole in the door and a modified inspection mirror on the drag beam so that I can see what is happening without causing chiropractic traffic. :lol:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.