3 1/2" gauge LBSC Juilet info wanted

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnHudak

3 1/2" gauge LBSC Juilet info wanted

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi All, I purchased a 3 1/2" gauge Juliet from the auction at the Cabin Fever show this past winter. Here's a picture of it, does anyone recognize it? I'm just trying to find out who used to own it, how it ran, etc.... I haven't done anything with it yet, but I think I"m going to be soon...
Thanks; John
Attachments
DSCN2832.JPG
alanstepney

Re: 3 1/2" gauge LBSC Juilet info wanted

Post by alanstepney »

I dont know anything about that specific one, but Juliet is a superb loco, will pull a reasonable load and runs well.

They are simple to build, and to maintain, and great fun to "play " with.

I built one back in,... about 1964 or 5, and helped build a batch of 5 some years later.
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I just spent a day rebuilding a throttle on one of those critters last weekend for a fellow PLS member in the PA area.

Looks like a really nice / good running little loco....robust, simple and easy to fire.

Only drawback - no tender....

Oh well, cannot have everything... :lol:

He DID have complete set of drawings (which helped with throttle disassembly) - brand new, so I assume they are available from someone in the UK.

Alan S. can help with that if you need it.

If you don't want to pay air-mail and are willing to wait a while, I can bring a set of drawings back for you from there..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

Bill Shields wrote:He DID have complete set of drawings (which helped with throttle disassembly) - brand new, so I assume they are available from someone in the UK.
AJ Reeves has them.

Actually AJ Reeves has a very impressive collection of castings and drawings or small gauge engines. No comparison to any vendors here in the States.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Bill Shields wrote:I just spent a day rebuilding a throttle on one of those critters last weekend for a fellow PLS member in the PA area.

Looks like a really nice / good running little loco....robust, simple and easy to fire.

Only drawback - no tender....

Oh well, cannot have everything... :lol:

He DID have complete set of drawings (which helped with throttle disassembly) - brand new, so I assume they are available from someone in the UK.

Alan S. can help with that if you need it.

If you don't want to pay air-mail and are willing to wait a while, I can bring a set of drawings back for you from there..
Thanks Bill, I may take you up on that... BTW, it appears that my loco is a Juliet 2 and according to Reeves is a different set of prints as the standard Juliet..
John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Reeves is only a few KM from our offices in the UK, so a 'stop by' is not out of the question.

Last year I brought back 24" of 5" copper pipe to build a boiler...and didn't get any ???? from customs at all...

Probably because it was stuffed with dirty laundry :P

Once you get it running, if you are coming east to WLS, you will need an aux water supply, since the on-board panniers probably won't carry enough to get you around the 1/2 mile of hilly track. :shock:
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hey Bill,

I need a length of 4 1/2" diameter copper pipe. I'll get you a length...It's for my Coventry 0-6-0.

Thanks,

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Reeves lists it. I can get one of the guys in the office to order it and have it delivered to the office anytime.

My schedule has me out / around everywhere except the UK until maybe February 2012 for pickup, if that is OK with you.

24" will set you back best part of $200 (there is tax to pay there).

If you need some odd-size flues at the same time (like 7/16"), I can get in a bundle.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thanks Bill...

I'm not in ANY hurry. Let me scrape that together and I'll get you the money.

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
xo18thfa

Post by xo18thfa »

In the "Model Engineer", LBSC described 2 boilers for Juliet. One is a regular loco type for coal and the other was a "Smithies" type for oil fire. Has anyone ever seen a Smithies type in 3.5" gauge?
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

xo18thfa wrote:In the "Model Engineer", LBSC described 2 boilers for Juliet. One is a regular loco type for coal and the other was a "Smithies" type for oil fire. Has anyone ever seen a Smithies type in 3.5" gauge?
LBSC described building Juliet in both 3/4" scale and 3/8" scale for Gauge 1.
If I remember correctly....the Smithies boiler was for the Ga. 1 version.

Keith
xo18thfa

Post by xo18thfa »

LVRR2095 wrote:
xo18thfa wrote:In the "Model Engineer", LBSC described 2 boilers for Juliet. One is a regular loco type for coal and the other was a "Smithies" type for oil fire. Has anyone ever seen a Smithies type in 3.5" gauge?
LBSC described building Juliet in both 3/4" scale and 3/8" scale for Gauge 1.
If I remember correctly....the Smithies boiler was for the Ga. 1 version.

Keith

I know of the Gauge 1 version, that boiler is Smithies. But there was a Smithies for the 3.5" gauge too. It is in the June 5, 1947 edition of Model Engineer. It has a 2.5" dia by 11.5" long inner barrel, 3 "Averill" tube. Wet back head. The outer wrapper is the same dimension as the regular loco boiler. It's is certainly is different. Wondering if anyone ever tried it.
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota