Newbie feed water pump

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: Newbie feed water pump

Post by UnkaJesse »

Al, That little bugger is the wrist pin for the eccentric strap to plunger. It may look like stainless (wish it was) but it is 12L14 steel. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] I really wanted stainless for the pump plunger, but had nothing that large on hand in my spare parts supply room (AKA: junk pile). [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (scrap pile) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Ron, The pump plunger is 3/8" in diameter and has a 3/4" stroke (backstroke???) which should be about .082 cubic inch per stroke. May not deliver enough water, but another pump could easily be placed on the otherside of the frame in the same location. Plenty room under there. The hand pump is going to be so simple I can't believe it will work. Might not, but I can't see why not. No, repeat, NO valves. It will use the pump valves and the boiler check for its valving. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] A Super Scale Economy injector will also be on the boiler as I said a while back.

TEL, yep that eccentric strap is made of genuine al-you-min-i-um as they say down in Oz. I have used it for this purpose in the past as feed water pumps under the riding/water/propane car on the Falk. The little pump that Bill Harris designed just can't keep the thirsty Falk happy. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]:Have to use the hand pump all the time so I put this twin plunger pump under the car and all is well. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (Water pumping fool) Jesse
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Dampfwilli, tell your rivet counters that the top of the key does nothing to help transmit power! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img] All pressure is against the sides. I have a set of keyway broaches from 1/8" through 3/8" with the necessary bushings, but I know that not many model builders will have such a set in their shop. The internal keyway can be cut with a boring bar and square tipped tool by cranking the lathe carriage back and forth. Kozo does it this way and it works very well, but is much easier to use the endmill and a round topped key. This might not look exactly "Kosher" when used on a set of drive wheels for a side rod locomotive, but I bet not many people would notice what was done unless you told them to look. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (keyway cutter) Jesse
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Bill, that round key will work just fine as long as you don't point it out to any of dampfwilli's rivet counters and their cohorts. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img] Actually, there is probably very little stress on those keys on a set of drivers. Main thing is to keep everything square and timed properly (IE: Pin Trim) so the drivers don't lock up or knock. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka Jesse
JBrew

Post by JBrew »

UnkaJesse,may I suggest in the future ,put a quarter in the picture to establish overall size of the subject. What is the dia. of the eccentric bore?Are you going to be at Train Mountain in june? Jim
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

uh, Unka Jesse, you know, the backstroke as in swimming?
[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Jim, The eccentric strap bore is 1-5/16" and the axle hole in the eccentric itself is 1/2". The attachment is actually almost, but not quite, full sized. I will try to stick something in there next time to give a sense of size. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] Don't know about using quarters though, pore old Unka Jesse is on sociable security and coins of the realm are a bit hard to come by. If I stuck a quarter in each attachment and 300 people viewed the attachment, it seems to me that I would be out $75.00 [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img] Just dunno 'bout that!

Unka (tightwad) Jesse [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
davestea

Post by davestea »

as a machinist I know you MUST have at least 3 of those stainless, 1/2" wide, 6" scales - just put one of those in the photo - will establish scale perfectly and they can download the photo and scale it to exactly 1x1 if they want to.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Bryan

Re: Newbie feed water pump ROUND KEYWAY

Post by Bryan »

Tim,
Your memory serves you well [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Way back when... we had to change out all the old tail rotor cross links that had square keyways, because small hairline cracks started to show in the corners of the keyway... the shaft was not of concern, as it is made of steel... from memory the cross links where made from cast aluminium not billet...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Isn't the use of a round pin or long set screw in this application called a "dutchman"? or is that something else? cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
davestea

Post by davestea »

Unka -

You are not dumb - you just don't know how - YET!

take a look below the pink entry box when entering your new text -- you will see a table of UBB code -

type your message - then on a new line click image in the table and enter the URL
what you will see is the text below (without the two capital X's in the two words IMAGE)
[imXage]http://www.chaski-test.com/pictures/9044-newbiepump.jpg[/imXage]

you don't even have to click the image below - just type it ike you see it above with the correct URL.

you will note that your water pump in now in this listing - whatchu think dood ??
--------------
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Unka,
do you have any drawins of that pump?
Patrik