A3 Switcher Drawing error, FOUND IT!!!!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Johnny O

A3 Switcher Drawing error, FOUND IT!!!!

Post by Johnny O »

I was wondering if all these dimensions would come together neatly, or if I'd run into a speedbump. It was just a matter of time as I merrily plugged along machining parts and assebling them on the frame. Only to realize the cylinder centerline is about 1/32 higher then the yoke plate end. I tore down the frame to elongate the holes and bottom of tee window to fix this. All the sizes I checked seemed to be ok it was an error in the cylinder end of drawing that was off. I'll have this fixed tonight and be back at it.I can't complain given the level of hard work and quality Kozo put into this model.If anybody has other pitfalls to watch out for I'd appreciate the heads up.
Thanks
Johnny O
Harlock

Re: A3 Switcher Drawing error, FOUND IT!!!!

Post by Harlock »

Johnny,

You may find all of the errors discovered so far in the "Mistakes, Errata and Changes" thread on the DLS Kozo forums:

http://livesteam.proboards.com/index.cg ... thread=164

If yours is not already in there, you may add it to the end.

Thanks,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

It's a known issue and was documented in the Yahoo Groups forum. The cylinder mounting holes are off by .015".

Ken-
kvom

Post by kvom »

I just confirmed this via my drawings too. Rather than elongating the holes, you might consider milling 1/32 off the mounting "feet" of the yoke to lower it.

Since I fit my yoke to the guide bars, I won't need to adjust hopefully.

I've not visited the Yahoo group recently since it's been regularly spammed.
siggy

Post by siggy »

I found this same error when I built my A3. Interestingly, if you follow Kozo's instructions by making the drill guide to its print and then using it to drill the cylinder you won't have the problem. If you plow ahead on your own and just machine to the cylinder drawing dimensions you'll find the error when you start to assemble.

Robert
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

Thank you all, however I already elongated the mounting holes to correct this as I wished to avoid the dominon effect with the rest of the build. I can lock up the cylinders in alignment to the yoke and start moving forward again. I missed the mistakes page mike mentioned at yahoo groups I guess causee I've been avoiding them myself due to exper. with a virus awhile back. I'll look at the drill plate dims. out of curiosity when I get a chance. I wouldnt of used it anyway I guess.
Off to the shop
Johnny O