THE BIG HUDSON

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

LIALLEGHENY

Re: THE BIG HUDSON

Post by LIALLEGHENY » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi Jim,

How accurate am I looking to go? I'm not looking to make my head hurt, although I think I will have to get my head checked once I start this project. Being that I am planning on building only one loco I will fabricate the parts, but I would like to make at least the "visible" parts as close to accurate as I can. Am I looking to make the bed casting as one piece, no, something more along the lines of your 1.5 scale Berkshire.
I have a 1/8 scale RRSC Mikado kit that I am building, but I don't feel it has anywhere near enough detail. At the time I purchased the kit, it was what I could swing , and I knew it was designed to be relatively simple to build. Now I wish I had bought the Berkshire. So instead I will bump things up a notch and build something I can sit in. To be honest I would like an Allegheny......maybe that will be the next project.
So yes I would be interested in the pattern drawings and any other engineering that may already be in place.

Thank you,

Nyle

mikped

Post by mikped » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 pm

LOCO112

I may have access to a set of prints for a 15" gage 2-6-2. I believe there are some, if not all, of the pattern and core box parts for the cylinder/piston valve assembly.

piston dia. is 4, stroke is 5.5.(?) Saddle radius is aprox. 9.5".

If this is something you might be able to work with you can contact me at mpedde at csinet dot net.

Mike

DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Here's this post on Sandy Whittum who has passed away

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=99909
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

apm

Post by apm » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Not sure about a 15" gauge Berkshire but there is one in England that runs on 10.25" track http://www.fsmr.org.uk/

Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Here is a little aside on Seymour's engine. The major parts were laying around railroad supply for a time in the 1970s. They were in some kind of a purple color????? Cary

Loco112

Post by Loco112 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Once again, does anyone know of anyone who has a set of the drawings for the Seymour Johnson 3" scale Hudson?

I would like to use the Hudson roller bearing axle and associated parts to aid in the design of my locomotive project.

I would like to trade or buy copy set of those for my project.

Train Town has a couple of those sets, but they are in Northern CA and I'm in Texas, and from the description I was given of it, the rolls are in a big mess and the task to go through them sounds huge. I would happliy organize the drawings for them and make a copy of the few drawings i needed for the effort, but I am not in CA and so I can't help them.

Someone somewhere out in the middle of America must have a set of those still in the original binder who is willing to trade or sell a copy. Anyone...
Narrow Gauge (Information) Exchange dot Org forum
My Projects:
Davenport 30 ton diesel (SV#101 / D&RGW#50)
C&S 1908 steel & 1905 wood: box, stock, flat, gon
D&RGW wooden freight cars, long & short cabeese
EBT 2-bay hoppers, Conoco #44 tank
DV (K&J) hopper
8"n3 - 3-footers, 8" scale, 24" gauge

FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Sandy did not have a complete set of drawings for the Hudson. There were several important prints that did not come with the engine. To the best of my knowledge Sandy was unable to complete the set he had. Since the Hudson is not for sale the drawings would also not be available.

John B.
http://www.ngshay.com/
Shay drawings and castings

chooch

Post by chooch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:04 pm

You might try "friendsmodels.com (http://friendsmodels.com/)--John Kurdnizack (sp) as he has the business of an old supplier that built an 1-1/2" scale Hudson and several smaller steam. John might have some info to help you.
Also, the Waushakum Live Steamers in Mass recently had a new boiler built (I think) and did other work for the old Hudson that is now running.
I don`t have a link for the club but John K should have that as they are both in Massachussets.
chooch

Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm

If you are willing to work with scans of original NYC drawings, check out the NYC Historical & Technical Society web site. They sell small drawing sets for $45 and large drawing sets for $90. The set size is based on quantity, not size. Typically these drawings are at 1/8 of full size.

For other consideration, prior to Gene Allen offerings, a guy by the name of Harpur offered 1½ Hudson castings and had a set of Hudson drawings. I have a partial set of those that were scanned - about half of about a 36 drawing set.

Mark Landgraf
Albany, NY