Gene Allen Locomotive's Popularity

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ccvstmr

Re: Gene Allen Locomotive's Popularity

Post by ccvstmr »

makinsmoke wrote:Carl, Can you give specifics on how he designed and built his muffler?
Brian
Brian, I know this is getting off topic, but you asked for some muffler details. I can't speak about Cal Tinkhams muffler design, but another club member volunteered to fabricate a muffler for my Backyard Rails F-7. The previous muffler (yes, we've tried several different types in an attempt to reduce the "lawnmower sound system") was nothing more than a round expansion chamber. It wasn't very effective.

I'm attaching several photos of the muffler currently in use. From what I understand, the parts were designed and laser cut. I believe it comes down to adequate exhaust gas expansion area and multiple baffles without creating excess back pressure. The end result...I hear more of the mechanical locomotive noise now instead of the exhaust noise. And to that end, it's difficult to determine how fast/hard the engine is running without the exhaust noise. I'd say the redesign was success. I'm pleased with it...although I have to admit, I haven't seen the bill yet.

The photos should give you some insight as to what was done. For reference, the outer casing is a piece of 4x6" steel tubing. This not only was the material on hand, but the size fit in nicely between the hydraulic pump and the underside of the fiberglass body. After installation, I covered the muffler with ceramic wool insulation.

If you're looking for a "steam parallel", we run into the same situation with blast pipe nozzle sizing and the distance from the blast nozzle to the stack. So...in one case, we look forward to listening to the "chuff". In the other case, we're trying to eliminate (or at least minimize) the sound of a 2 or 4 cycle internal combustion engine. Hope this helps. Carl B.
Attachments
muffler_parts02.jpg
muffler_assy03.jpg
muffler_welded03.jpg
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

SO, back to Gene Allen's locomotives...

I'm surprised with the popularity and simplicity of his engines, no one has built an articulated out of the wheelsets... That would be quite interesting!
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

If you haven't seen a fine example of a "dismal" look into the Role Models deisel electric or deisel hydraulic narrow gauge GE 70 ton engine which is modeled after the GE/Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge loco X1. It has a 3 cylender deisel engine which is very quiet - minimum clatter. It is a very nice model of the prototype and can be had with either the low cab roof of X1 or the high roof of other versions. There is at least one of them running at Bitter Creek and we have had others running at LALS. On the other end of the scale WAS the U.P. shoe box that used to pull a very nice circus train. I believe that this box was the reason that Riverside Live Steamers banned all but steam. And even father down was the joke that a few of our estemed members built for a spring meet in the 70s?. It was truly a vertical motor lawn mower platform with some work to make it drive a horizontal axle. There are some photos of it somewhere. The idea was to shame the "lawn mower" guys. I can admire a fine model of a "dismal" as well as a fine model of a steam loco. I sometimes wonder if one were to build a model of the British steam shunter that looked like a small deisel loco if it would be accepted at RLS?

Cary
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Mike Walsh wrote:I'm surprised with the popularity and simplicity of his engines, no one has built an articulated out of the wheelsets... That would be quite interesting!
Sorry to disappoint you Mike, but I believe Bill Behrens (Parrish, FL) took (2) Allen Chloe locomotives and mashed them together to make a 2-4-4-2. If I recall correctly, the rear engine was steam driven with a chain drive to the front engine. The issue with any articulated loco (simple or compound) is how to reasonably get the steam to the front engine and still ensure the loco can go thru curves and turnouts. Sorry, can't find any photos to share. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Cary: The X1 is indeed a nice locomotive and I know several people that have them including Karl. It has a quiet Kubota tractor engine and a nice sound system. My friend Ron Schmidt has a radio controlled version that they use for yard shunting cold steamers and rolling stock at the Flintridge & Portola Valley RR.

As one of the only diesels operating at the Narrow Gauge Meet, Karl's X-1 was a fine addition.

Ironically, the real SP Narrow Gauge engine was standard-gauged towards the end of its life at a mining operation in Mexico.

Regarding the lawnmower prank, several Chaski members recalled that story several years ago, with pictures:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 5&p=103468

Scroll down a bit on that page.

Cheers,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

ccvstmr wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:I'm surprised with the popularity and simplicity of his engines, no one has built an articulated out of the wheelsets... That would be quite interesting!
Sorry to disappoint you Mike, but I believe Bill Behrens (Parrish, FL) took (2) Allen Chloe locomotives and mashed them together to make a 2-4-4-2. If I recall correctly, the rear engine was steam driven with a chain drive to the front engine. The issue with any articulated loco (simple or compound) is how to reasonably get the steam to the front engine and still ensure the loco can go thru curves and turnouts. Sorry, can't find any photos to share. Carl B.
That sounds like Bob Woodward's Mallet, although I think Bob built that one himself. The wheels are Chloe-sized, but he has three axles per engine, so more like a fitch. :) I don't think they are Chloe drivers though, there's one too many spokes as far as I can tell, zooming in to the photo. It's quite a custom kit-bash of stuff though, there's probably Allen parts in there somewhere.
Attachments
10-03-26_SBSL_spring_10-1980.jpg
10-03-26_SBSL_spring_10-1919.jpg
10-03-26_SBSL_spring_10-1936.jpg
10-03-26_SBSL_spring_10-2092.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

ccvstmr wrote:
Here's Bill's locomotive. For a short while it was the only active locomotive in our steam program, but that's changed and continues to change. :) The front is just a chain driven dummy, amazing how a neat design can be built form simple castings with just some imagination! Anyway, he still runs it and takes it up to Michigan every year... its really cool! :D

Carl... don't tell the challenger group about those steam lines... :lol:
Attachments
DSC03798.jpg
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

I sometimes wonder if one were to build a model of the British steam shunter that looked like a small deisel loco if it would be accepted at RLS?
Gary,
Though we've driffed a wee bit off topic - If your engines prime mover is steam, you are welcome to come on out to RLS and operate your locomotive. Article Two of our club bylaws states our clubs purpose: "The Riverside Live Steamers is a non-profit organization to promote the building, operation, interest and enjoyment of live steam locomotives or other live steam engines as a hobby and to educate the people and children of the area regarding the steam engine".
The outline or appearance wouldn't be a factor. (as long as safety requirements are met) In fact, I think it would be a pretty huge crowd pleaser for our public ridership (and members too) if a model enginer rolled out a consist of modern intermodals being pulled by the live steam ACE 3000 concept locomotive! http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/ult.html

I've been eyeballing that one myself but I can't start on that one until I finish my...you guessed it..Allen Ten Wheeler!
Brook A.
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Mike the woodwards engine is a Jim Lesovsky creation. Jim gave bob all of his toys when he moved. Bob is a pipefitter and is not setup to build. Bob was also given a ( I think ) a harper mogal.

If there is a allen part in there I have never see it. Jim just used what he had laying around.

d.
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Pennsy fan wrote:Mike the woodwards engine is a Jim Lesovsky creation. Jim gave bob all of his toys when he moved. Bob is a pipefitter and is not setup to build. Bob was also given a ( I think ) a harper mogal.

If there is a allen part in there I have never see it. Jim just used what he had laying around.

d.

Wow what great way of going from Allen Models to Gas Motor Critters and back to Allen Models. Dave, Oh yeah I saw a pic of Bob's Smog Belt Allen Locomotive in the 2002 LALS Spring Meet Album, and was triple-heading with bob's own Smog Belt 2-6-6-2 Mallet and 2-8-0 Consoloation. But All-in-All Gene's eye for simplicity in his locomotives has lasted for probably over 50 years, and is still alive to see others enjoy his Creations. Keep on Steaming my Friends.

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

David,

Are there any pictures of theses "Smog Belt" Locomotives on the web?

Thanks!
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Mjahn, yes, a few but yes. Bob's Smog Belt 2-6-6-2 is seen here in this following link: http://mikemassee.com/gallery/v/liveste ... 2.jpg.html
In this photo taken by Mike Massee (Harlock), Bob is about to roll out his Mallet, at the Sagebrush Shortline in Ridgecrest, CA. If you have access to facebook, the Los Angeles Live Steamers facebook fan page has album of Meets from various years. Look up the albums dedicated to the 2002 and 2011 Spring Meets respectively, there are photos of the Smog Belt 2-8-0 and his Allen Locomotive, the latter can be found in the 2011 Album and the Allen Locomtive can be found in the 2002 LALS Spring Meet Album. Enjoy! Keep on Steamin my Friends.

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney