AFTERMATH OF IRENE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

AFTERMATH OF IRENE

Post by Trainman4602 »

Four days before our fall meet the waters of the Perkiomen creek that runs behind the club property rose 16 ft above normal.

This happen last year as well. That time we had a foot of water in the double tunnel. I checked the flood reports this morning and it said the creek would rise 16 feet so that’s five feet higher. As you can see from the tunnel shot water is at the top of it and the opening is 5 feet high.

The locomotive storage shed was untouched; the club house is ok as well. The water came up to the bottom of the door of building two were we keep tools and by twelve o’clock had dropped 6 inches. From the looks of it, the track looks ok but the signal box were under water I hope they are ok.

We got a lot of clean up to do this week.

El Presidente says the meet is on so anyone that can get out to help clean up the mess would be great.
Attachments
185266_10150322469637268_537507267_7745628_6123023_n.jpg
297627_10150322457322268_537507267_7745512_1496769_n.jpg
123.jpg
293364_10150322465382268_537507267_7745581_498729_n.jpg
309737_10150322457862268_537507267_7745522_8153322_n.jpg
Last edited by Trainman4602 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
mattmason

Re: AFTERMATH OF IRENE

Post by mattmason »

Sorry to hear this. PLS is a great track to run at and throughly enjoyed myself two years ago.
Matt Mason
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Trainman4602 wrote: We got a lot of clean up to do this week.
...and the first order of business should be to get that port-a-potty back in service! Watch out for "floaters". And to think of the amount of rain water that could have been collected for boilers. Geez!

Living in the "middle coast" sometimes has it advantages. Wish you all good luck on the clean up! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Speaking of floaters, when this occurs, how much track is displaced, or is that provided for in some way.

Sorry about the flood, bet it caught somebody nappin. ( George Carlin skit)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Consider applying for some of the ever inexhaustible & always free and irresponsible FEMA money, every one else does, heck its free!

I hope the water recedes and all is well for your club!

This might be slightly interesting in such a time, the WD in; "WD40" stands for; water displacement formula #40. It was developed to recover things that have been wet. An army contract came up with that.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Here is a video from yesterday. This was shot about a half mile north of the club. As you can see the water is running fast. At the club it generally comes in and out under the Mercer Bridge so that helps with errosion.

ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Loco112 wrote:ever inexhaustible & always free and irresponsible FEMA money
For guys like you and me FEMA money is not free . . . In fact there is no direct FEMA money. FEMA evaluates and certifies storm damage which is then used to apply for LOANS through the SBA (Small Business Administration) for repairs and restoration. But it's not a giveaway (literally or figuratively) and there are no guarrantees. I have the highest available bank and credit score ratings. In May of 2010 I had 16" of water in my house and my yard looked like it had been strip-mined, and in a way it had . . . but FEMA certified less than half of what my actual damage was (and I'm still finding damage) and the SBA said I didn't qualify for a loan because I had a low income (retired) and was a high risk for non-repayment. Can't be too careful these days.

The potential FEMA-related problem for a live steam club, or any private property owner for that matter, which you should be FAR more concrened about than handouts, is that in the aftermath of flooding, such as will be seen this week, many landowners eventually find themselves located in a newly designated flood ways or flood plains which in most cases limits what can then be built or rebuilt and which can substantially decrease the value of the property.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
BClem

Post by BClem »

Yes, FEMA is another federal program that meant well at it's onset but only has power to mandate or decree. Nothing tangible comes from FEMA as with most government departments or bureaus and is basically just another source of red tape very similar to the small business administration. If you need help and can't afford it, go to a bank for refusal, then come back to be told "no you are a bad risk, you're on your own." If you're a multimillionaire, you are eligible for government help....Huh?

This is only one of my small rants!

Bill C.

Did anyone notice that according to the Media, the 'hurricane' totally missed Virginia and Maryland?

Very sorry about any damage to the club track and site!!! I would help clean up in a heartbeat.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

TOTALLY MISSED MARYLAND?

so I guess the water in my basement is from a poltergeist?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Bill Shields wrote:TOTALLY MISSED MARYLAND?

Bill, I think Ghostbusters called it "ectoplasm"
John
BClem

Post by BClem »

Bill Shields wrote:TOTALLY MISSED MARYLAND?

Appreciate it!,

Bill C.
Last edited by BClem on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steampipe

Post by Steampipe »

Dave- Railroad is up and running for the Fall Meet.
Track AOK - Signals 100%. Weather looks great! We invite all Live Steamers to attend September 2,3,4. Even though we are narrow gaugue (7.25) to the rest of the world, there are many great Steamers to see and people to meet.