Smokebox coating

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

crackerjackhoghead

Smokebox coating

Post by crackerjackhoghead »

Just wondering if anybody has actually tried using linseed oil and graphite to paint their smokebox and what the outcome was?
Marty_Knox

Re: Smokebox coating

Post by Marty_Knox »

I have - works great. Someone asked me once how I go the smokebox to look like graphite. I told him 'I graphited it!'
Frisco1522

Post by Frisco1522 »

I started out using Linseed oil and Graphite, but the linseed oil smelled so bad when it got hot, I started mixing Steam Oil, Graphite and Mineral spirits and it worked better. Even made a sprayer for it using a parts sprayer gun from Grainger. Either way you do it, it needs to get hot to set up well.
There are also coatings for exhaust manifolds that are sold by hot rod shops that I'm told work well.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Does the oil and graphite approach ever dry or does it come off on your hands?
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

Slip plate is a substance that comes in a paint can at tractor supply and I think MSC. It dries slightly quicker and doesn't rub off as much. Just My .02
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I asked "THE" Harry Bean about the finish on his SP 3420.

He said he did it the way SP did it.

Hear 'er up, and rub it with a mixture of steam cylinder oil and graphite.

A couple of times around, once cooled you can buff it with a cloth.

Brian
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

We've used the following graphite spray at the Mesa Grande Western on the Mogul this spring:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... te5200.php

We sprayed it on straight.

The smokeboxes on those engines get so hot you can't really paint em. The graphite worked out well, although even that gets a little uneven after a while in the heat, perhaps the mixture of oil is what helps it stay moisturized and even.

Also, Phil Reader and friends just put a fresh coat of graphite mix on the #12 at the Georgetown Loop. Attempting to find out the mixture. It's lighter than the straight stuff.
Attachments
11-04-17_Mes_Grande-spring-2011-6852.jpg
11-04-17_Mes_Grande-spring-2011-6852-2.jpg
GTL12.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Followup from Phil:

The recipe I use is a mixture of Aluminum paint, High Temp black and powdered Graphite. Another good product is Slip plate. This is what Roaring Camp has used and I believe it is available from Granger.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
ballastmonkey

Post by ballastmonkey »

Use BOILED linseed oil as unboiled never really dries and will smoke a long time, boiled will burn off in short order, plus it helps lower your cholesterol! The flax plant is the best!

Concoction I used for the last 20 plus years: Boiled linseed oil, flake graphite, valve oil, engine oil or marvel mystery oil, and mineral spirits. Proportions are are a splash here and a dash there. Have fun experimenting getting the color to your liking. Powdered graphite will give you a darker finish but it doesnt seem to "dig" into the metal as well as flake or take a polish. Slip plate or spray graphite is just cheating!

Be sure to save the container your mixing it in as you can keep freshing it up each time by adding more ingredients. Ive got a #10 bean can ive had for 10 years that i make mine in. Each batch is always a little different. Kiss the cook.
Frisco1522

Post by Frisco1522 »

One time when we had the 1522 parked at St. Louis Union Station, we were firing her up for a trip. I mixed up my secret sauce and handed it to one of the guys to paint the smokebox. He dropped the can and it went all over him and the platform. This stuff is impossible to get off, just almost has to wear off and your clothes will keep it forever. He dropped a can of paint in the baggage car when we were painting the inside, which produced the same results only he shared this with a couple of the other guys.
He was presented with the coveted SLSTA Klutz of The Year Award.