Worthington style Duplex Water Pump Questions

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLSTEAM

Worthington style Duplex Water Pump Questions

Post by FLSTEAM »

I have a Worthington duplex water pump that runs and pumps great........but it sounds like the pistons are hitting the heads at the end of the stroke. I have slop in the valve drives but is it possible to have too much gap allowing the pistons to travel further before they reverse?

John B.
FredR

Re: Worthington style Duplex Water Pump Questions

Post by FredR »

Just out of curiosity. Can you be hearing the check valve ball hitting the seat?
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

FLSTEAM wrote:I have a Worthington duplex water pump that runs and pumps great........but it sounds like the pistons are hitting the heads at the end of the stroke. I have slop in the valve drives but is it possible to have too much gap allowing the pistons to travel further before they reverse?

John B.
you could pull the top head off and have a look. the valve rod could be too short, as you suggest, and is not reversing the piston soon enough.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

FredR

No ball valves. The check valves are disks. It was making the noise before I install the water valves.

Fred V

Changing the valve rod length wont change anything since the travel is set. But changing the gap in the valves themselves could make a difference.

JB
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

FLSTEAM wrote:FredR

No ball valves. The check valves are disks. It was making the noise before I install the water valves.

Fred V

Changing the valve rod length wont change anything since the travel is set. But changing the gap in the valves themselves could make a difference.

JB
i thought the rod triggered the valve to move and set the timing. i haven't built one of these but have been studying them.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Fred

The rod does set the timing but is still needs equal travel to each end of the steam chest. The trick is not to fix the connection to the valve too tight in other works there needs to be some play. ...........but I think I may have found the problem.. No Load. When I actually pump water it seems to stop the bang.

JOHN