What scale is my locomotive?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: What scale is my locomotive?

Post by Harlock »

For those unfamiliar with inch scales (general audiences) I say 1/8 scale for 1.5" and (approximately) 1/5 scale for 2.5". (it's actually 1/4.8 )

No letter designations here. I'm pretty sure RMI made up the F scale thing as a marketing term appealing to a certain segment of their buyers. And Tom Miller is using the same nomenclature (F scale) for his indoor Gauge 1 layout which features 3ft gauge prototype stuff. I think he came up with that himself as well.

I agree on letter designations being for electric mice and not ride on scales and gauges.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

I thought that RMI used E scale for the 3.75" scale. I think it stands for Estate. Read that somewhere on their site or price list.
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

pwcphoto wrote:I thought that RMI used E scale for the 3.75" scale. I think it stands for Estate. Read that somewhere on their site or price list.
Yes, RMI invented "E Scale", which as I recall wasn't a scale at all. I believe it was, for all intensive purposes, "full-size" 7-1/2" gauge equipment, meant to be comfortable to run and look nice.

F Scale, refers to 3/8" (9.52mm) scale on Gauge 1 (45mm / 1.75") track.
Fn3 Scale, refers to .59" (15mm), aka 1:20.3 Scale, on Gauge 1 track.

In both cases the "F" is short for "Fine", as in accurately scaled to gauge and finely detailed.

Fn3 was orignally 1:20.3 then Gn3, but the "Fn3" caught on in the magazines and won that battle.

There is also a SE (acronym for 7/8ths) Scale, which runs on Gauge 0 (O Gauge) for 18" gauge models or Gauge 1 track for 24" gauge models. Regular Chaski poster Ray Cadd has built some cool equipment in this scale for Gauge 1.

Back to the topic of this thread; I agree that we don't build in designated scales, though "H" has been used jokingly enough in the past and present that it could become a proper name for 1-1/2" scale.

And one more side note: Sir Arthur Heywood, did establish 15" gauge as the "Minimum Gauge", so I guess that would be "M Gauge".

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops