Disney's Live Steam RR

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Curtis_F

Re: Disney's Live Steam RR

Post by Curtis_F »

LivingLegend wrote:You know if Reeves still sells drawings/castings for the "Lucky 7" 2-footer?
LL,

Yes, Reeves sells drawings and castings for Don's "Lucky 7" (3-1/2" gauge) and "Maxi Lucky 7" (7-1/4" gauge) 2-4-4's.

http://www.ajreeves.com/

Take care,

Curtis
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Thanks Curtis....

Ment the Maxi-7 (for 7.25/7.5 gauge) not the Lucky 7.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
FredR

Post by FredR »

Yeah, but do you know the name of the tunnel that was at Walt's or who designed it? No one would probably be interested but me, sort of.... (lower left of photo)

It was ROREX Tunnel and was designed by Jack Rorex......

Now, I just need to see what I can find out about him. I had a couple of emails going back and forth with Roy Disney, but unfortunately, he passed away before he was able to put me in touch with anyone..... So if you happened to know Jack (pun), which I imagine he has passed away by now, or any of his family, it would be great to contact them.......

Thanks
Fred
Attachments
WaltsBarn29.jpg
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

The article on The Carolwood Pacific was Christmas Day, 1952. There is no picture of Disney with the loco, but the closing paragraph says that Walt aquired the loco "last summer," which could be of that year or the previous. That was only one loco purchased. The Disney people have it in the Barn now at LALS.

Just as interesting in the closing paragraph of the ME article is mention that another loco was going to come to the track, "A new locomotive, similar on style to No. 173 but of 4-6-0 type is being built..." This is in addition to the GWR loco bought while in England.
Matt Mason
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

I must be in error about there being a photo in the ME article.... It's been almost 25 years since I looked at that issue. But, there is a photo of Disney in England with the loco he had purchased in some article that I have seen.

There was a 4-6-0 that was started for Disney by Roger Broggie based upon the 173/Lilly Belle design, but it was never completed. This is the loco that was converted to a 4-4-0 and to a "replica" of the Lilly Belle by Broggie's son, Roger, Jr., for display at Tokyo Disneyland.

LL
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

LL

I don't think your crazy, either that or I am crazy too. I seem to recall a picture as well of Disney with an English lokie too somewhere.

The best I can think is of one with him and one of David Rose's locos that wasn't in ME. I'll check my collection of Miniature Locomotive. (See, I told my wife the collections of six different magazine titles and chosen articles from another would come in handy...and she thinks it just takes up too much room.)
Matt Mason
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

mattmason wrote:....I don't think your crazy, either that or I am crazy too. I seem to recall a picture as well of Disney with an English lokie too somewhere.

The best I can think is of one with him and one of David Rose's locos that wasn't in ME. I'll check my collection of Miniature Locomotive. (See, I told my wife the collections of six different magazine titles and chosen articles from another would come in handy...and she thinks it just takes up too much room.)
Matt....

The picture that I recall seeing, was of Disney standing behind the engine which was, I believe, at a shop in England.... Presumably where he bought the engine.

LL
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

FredR wrote:....Yeah, but do you know the name of the tunnel that was at Walt's or who designed it? No one would probably be interested but me, sort of.... (lower left of photo) ....It was ROREX Tunnel and was designed by Jack Rorex......
Fred....

Jack Rorex was was head of construction at the Disney Studios and supervised construction on the back lots. Rorex was the one who suggested to Disney the use of a tunnel as an alternative to what was being concidered for the "flower bed" area on Carolwood railroad. Rorex also suggested that it be constructed as a reverse curve instead of straight line. Disney named the tunnel "Rorex Tunnel" as a thank you for his contribution to the railroad.

LL
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

LivingLegend wrote:
Matt....

The picture that I recall seeing, was of Disney standing behind the engine which was, I believe, at a shop in England.... Presumably where he bought the engine.

LL
OK, we're not crazy. That is exactly what what I remember too.
Matt Mason
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

We have the picture you guys are talking about in the Disney Barn with one of the two English engines. Don't know if it was taken in England or at the Studio. As far as we know, neither of the English engines were steamed in the US. Michael Broggie (who's dad was the head of the studio machine shop) told me the engines were damaged in transit due to sea water getting into the hold of the ship where they were stored. They were disassembled at the studio so we think that is where the photo was taken.
The 2nd English engine is owned by Michael's brother, Roger and last time I asked about it was told it is in pieces someplace. They are both 4-6-0's.
For anyone interested in seeing any of this stuff, the Disney Barn is located at the Los Angeles Live Steamers track and is open on the 3rd Sunday of the month. But if you give me some advanced notice, I often open for special guests on off days. (Yes, I help run the barn)
Bill B
SoCalLiveSteamer#613

Post by SoCalLiveSteamer#613 »

Here is a question I've been thinking about recently. Was Wards layout a pointo to point or a loop? Im thinking it was most likely point ot point wit hthe train running to one end and havving to back all the way back up to the depot and engine barn right? ANyone know where a track plan can be seen?
Going in circles any day, anywhere as long as its on a steam engine!
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

It was point to point, with a reverse curve roughly in the middle.
Matt Mason