worthington pump

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: worthington pump

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Great work Pamela!
Indeed it is!
I specialized in small work when I ran my commercial shop. It's an art that isn't always successful for even some of the pro's. Takes a certain type of individual, one who sees close tolerance as a way of life. Pam appears to have mastered it well. Still not sure she needs that digital mic, though! :lol:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

evening all,

another glorious day......rail boardis all painted will assemble that tomorrow.

drilledand milled the steam passages in all 7 pilot bushings...tesious lil buggers. triple checking that ya reutrned everything to zero for each passage.

started in on the steam pistons...two piece units....

cut my stock so I get two piston sets from each....turned the short half..parted it off slightly bit for cleanup and turning back side........turned ..drilled and tapped the long half.....made sure the two fit.......flipped it around and indicated it in dead on...turned and drilled the second short half...and called it a day........worked 19 hours saturday.....from 4am to 10pm...and from 5am to 6pm today...I'm done

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_1137.JPG
DSC_1138.JPG
DSC_1139.JPG
DSC_1140.JPG
DSC_1141.JPG
DSC_1143.JPG
DSC_1144.JPG
DSC_1145.JPG
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

finished the first twopiston pairs and did and addition two pairs....three to go then just drill tap and countersink the screw holes....

ordered the tiny S.S. screws from McMaster today....and received the rod for the pilot valve rods.....

one of the following photos is just for harold...see if you can figure which.... :mrgreen:

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_1146.JPG
DSC_1147.JPG
esecially for you Harold
esecially for you Harold
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hudson Honey wrote:one of the following photos is just for harold...see if you can figure which.... :mrgreen:
Chuckle!
It's a disease with you, eh? :lol:
Do you own any mechanical measuring tools?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Hello Pam, Question and compliment. What are the dimensions on the inlet flanges edge to edge and bolt center to center? and as Jack would say," Quite the puzzle". Nice work on all those little bits. I will patiently wait for the video of the pump(s) in operation.

Thanks, Vic

P.S. Only thing missing in your picture for Harold was a 1 inch standard in the caliper jaws reading .999 :)
Last edited by VO4454 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Duty and Humanity
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Harold.......giggling........of course I have mechanical meausing tools......

Vic....1.045" sruare......bolt pattern .775" suare. that gives you .135" hole center to edge.......my washers are .219......hole center to edge .1095".......which leaves a nice looking .0255" edge between the edge of the washer and the edge of the flange.

WAITA MINUTE......THEY HAVE TO WORK TOO? :lol:

Pamela
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Pam, Thanks for the dimensions.

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

any time Vic.....

finished up turning all the steam pistons this evening...just need to drill countersink and tap them

set up the mill to surfave and dril and tap the inlet water flanges.......got one surfaced and one hole drilled and tapped before the yes blurred

and a special photo for harold,.......missing is a pair of Helios 12" long jaw calipers....they are under my bed.

photos...enjoy

Pamela
Attachments
DSC_1149.JPG
DSC_1150.JPG
DSC_1152.JPG
DSC_1151.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

:lol: :lol:
You really do own the "old" stuff!
:lol: :lol:

Nice collection of tools, Pam. Like you, I have one dial caliper (Mitutoyo 12") that is rarely used, in particular because I specialized in small work when I ran my shop. As a result, my mic's top out at 6". It's nice to have at least one measuring instrument that's somewhat more reliable than trying to read the fine lines on scales now that I've grown older. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Don't know if you're familiar with the Starrett model 221 0"-1" (mechanical) mic, but it's a really nice micrometer built for measuring to tenths with exceedingly good reliability. It's especially nice if you find yourself involved in cylindrical grinding. I've really enjoyed owning mine.

I've enjoyed watching your progress, Pam. I took a great deal of pride in doing what I like to call "pretty work". I see we share that trait in common.

Harold
kvom

Post by kvom »

I'd like to get a 12" caliper myself. I have some older 5,6,7" mics I picked up inexpensively at model shows, but naturally there's always that one piece that's longer.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

I got 4 of the 7 inlet flanges mounted last night ...the fifth is faced and one holed drilled and tapped....should finish those this evening

need to make more of my #4 washers...I runned out.

once those are done...the oulet flanges get done.

waiting for the 2-56 flatheads to come and odered the few reamers I need yet....and then just one piece of bronze for the pump sleeves.....did not order enough.

if the guys I am doing these for could message me some time soon...I'd like to discuss the finish you desire. I can do it several different ways.

As Jack says, "to much fun...see you in the funny pages"

Pamela
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi Hudson Honey

Nice work it looks great !!!!

Here you can see our pump in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXk8PSSx ... ature=plcp
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !