worthington pump

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Hudson Honey

worthington pump

Post by Hudson Honey »

hi all,

As stated in the "my project" thread, I am halting everything to do a sideline deal. In the following weeks I am going to construct 3 of david moore's worthington pumps.

this weekend was great.....

I almost finished all 24 valves. the only thing I was not able to do was the second operation on the inlet valve stem due to not having a 2-56 button die. Am going to order that torrow and should have it Tuesday and be able to finish those up. then fabe a couple small jigs to drill the rubber valve discs.

hopefully have all the valve hardware done by the time the two casting sets arrive. I have one in hand.

and as promised photos. I have done everything so far on my sherline. I have found making very small parts are easier to make and come out a lil better than using a large full size machine. and you can sit to work.
Attachments
DSC_0985.JPG
DSC_0986.JPG
DSC_0987.JPG
DSC_0988.JPG
DSC_0989.JPG
DSC_0990.JPG
DSC_0991.JPG
DSC_0992.JPG
Hudson Honey

Re: worthington pump

Post by Hudson Honey »

the rest of photos
Attachments
DSC_0993.JPG
DSC_0994.JPG
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

got the two casting sets tto fill out the three last night.....and am now awaiting for three more to build....two functional..one non.

need to make two more sets of valves....

started laying out a jig plate to do the beginning machine work on the pump body.....going to head down in a bit to lay that out and figure somemothers out.

2-56 die was back ordered should have that next week...will give me a lil time to catch up with the remaining valve parts. and have the jig plate all drilled and the base feet on the body castings drilled and tapped

Pamela
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I had a chance to pick up one of little lathes, but i passed.. I wish i have it now, just for the same reasons you gave :)

Looking Good!
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

Pam:

I am getting cross eyed looking at the photos of the parts you are making, let alone machining them. I shure hope you have a microscope connected to the lathe.

Beautiful work!

Rick
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

greeting from looney central

ok...lol

I have to toss this out...no more for a while.

I am now doing 6 functional pumps and one non functional.

anymore and it would get a lil crazy.

almost have 6 full sets of valves completed. hope to have all the inlet seats done and most of the outlet/guide seats done by end of weekend. the outlet seats are two lathe ops and one mill op.

most think I am goofy...but I really enjoy making very small parts. plus I have the capability to easily do these at home.

and to answer Boats question....I do have a microscope set up for both lathe and mill...but these parts aren't that small...my lighted magnifier works nicely. I do need to get an optivisor soon tho...the kit with the different lenses..seeing I work at different focal lengths all the time...one lens doesn't cut it.

will have photos soon...need to use my micro lens to show these parts a lil better.

makin tiny chips,

Pamela
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

really nice.

I know what you mean by small..

Small is when you are milling with a 0.5 mm diameter end mill all day - feel like Cyclops before the day is over. :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hudson Honey wrote: I do need to get an optivisor soon tho...the kit with the different lenses..seeing I work at different focal lengths all the time...one lens doesn't cut it.
I use an Optivisor all the time. I think it's great. If you need multiple focal lengths while you are working, you might consider just getting several headbands. To swap out the lenses while you are working would be bothersome. The whole kit isn't that expensive and it wouldn't break the bank to have two or even three at arm's reach.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Bill,

the smallest I have made to date on my sherline lather is a single pointed thread....00-90.

under the microscope of course. it's relly not that bad when you can see exactly what is happening at the point of contact....very easy to see deflection. once you get "the touch" down......it goes pretty well. one thing tho....the surface finish is very deceiving under a microscope.....kinda looks like crap. until ya look at it with the naked eye...or even a light magnifier....it looks like a polished mirror finish.

the smallest thread I know of made on a sherline was done by Jerry Kiefer. some of you may know him or of him for his microscopic work. .007" diameter

Pamela
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

got a fair amount done.....

all the parts for 24 outlet valves is done....all the parts except the 2-56 thread is done for 24 inlet valves.

and started the inlet valve seats and got 3 done.....my parting blades crapped out....I do not have a bench grinder at home. will have to take them to work and sharpen them....

need to get one of those small bench grinders from micromark....I just don't have the room for my 1/2 hp 6" baldor.
Attachments
DSC_0996.JPG
DSC_0997.JPG
DSC_0998.JPG
DSC_0999.JPG
DSC_1002.JPG
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

12 inlet seat down..12 to go....

today received the 7/8" reamer (for the pump sleeve bore)....7/16"-32 tap (for the piston rod packing glands)...and the 1/4"-40 tap (for the piston to piston rod threads).

ordered all the bronze (for the sleeves) ...cast iron (for the steam valve and pilot valve rings)

5-40 threaded rod for the steam cylinder studs....and 1/8" 303 SS for the pilot valve rod.

need to order a large amount of fasteners and the remaining material from AMES soon

dug around today at break for material to make the valve disk drilling jigs and the fixture to turn the water valve caps....hopefully this hairbrained idea works. :roll:

onward McDuff,

Pamela
mikes5785

Post by mikes5785 »

Fascinating 8)

Mike