balanced poppet valves for steam

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

reubenT

balanced poppet valves for steam

Post by reubenT »

Just wondering if anyone here has any info on building them. Mainly the stem with double disc, the body can be a simple casting of iron. It seems like the best type of steam valve to run engine on high pressure from a water tube or mono tube boiler. all the valves that slide or rotate seem to have issues with the high pressure. I'm thinking of possibly building the valve into heads for an engine. supply valve being balanced and exhaust being unbalanced for which I can use a normal IC engine valve. My engine size starts with 40 hp and then maybe 200 later. I'm experimenting with converting IC engine to steam, if that works; fine, if not I'll try building engines from scratch. (or scrap, as in foundry and scrap metal)
Thanks RT
Al_Messer

Re: balanced poppet valves for steam

Post by Al_Messer »

The now defunct(I Think) magazine "Light Steam Power" had over the years lots of experimental engine articles. It would contain a wealth of info if you could lay hands on some bound issues. Good luck! Also, check out the work of Abner Doble.

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Some western rivers steamboat engines used balanced poppet valves. I believe I've read that the different temperatures and expansion of the valve and the their chamber was a challenge. If you could use an O ring it shouldn't be an issue.
Attachments
fig2.gif
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Bill Huxhold has made beautiful lil poppet valves for a number of his steam engines.

Pamela