Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rwmorris

Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

Post by rwmorris »

Well Folks,

There once was a neat engine that ran the rails in the little town of Bakersfield Ca. A fine home with a full fledged 4.75" Pike circling the Casa was owned by the Late Richard Stolzenfels. Obviously this is way before my time so I'm not sure this engine was his first, but we certainly know it wasn't his 2nd! Dick went onto to build the ultra trick SR&RL 2-6-2 and consist that was active at LALS for quite some time. There's some great photos of this masterpiece on the LALS web-site in their 1975 IBLS photos.

Link: http://www.lals.org/galleries/BLSMeet_1 ... large.html

But before the BIG Maine 2-Footer he built this little GEM. A fine 1" scale 4-6-0 with Southern Valve gear and a clean look. This engine was listed in a 1/4 page add sometime back in the 50's while the "Minature Locomotive Magazine" was in print. I've got the add at home and will list a picture of it later this evening. Who knows where it went or bounced around after that until sometime in the mid 70's. It ended up in the hands of Northern California's John Haines. A member of the GGLS and one of the Original High Line Crew during the big reconstruction up at Tilden Park. John owned this engine for many a year and used to run the wheels off of it during the meets. I remember as a young boy almost walking right into it as it zoomed by... Silly me.... ;-) I would estimate that in the early 80's this was sold along with a fleet of cars to a Gentleman in Concord. It was converted to propane vs. coal, and was successfully run for several years. And then.... POOF!!! It's gone...

Well I wanted to find this thing really bad. So phone calls started to happen and John had told me about the fella that owned it. Out of the blue I cold called the guy and sure enough. It was on his Mantle in the living room... Yikes! Not for sale...

Almost 3 years later the phone rings late one evening and it him! Let's talk....

Dad and I went, the deal was struck and the engine saw the sunshine again after many many years.

Have a look! This is a neat one!

Cheers,

Robert M.
Attachments
photo-51.jpg
tsph6500

Re: Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

Post by tsph6500 »

That's a very fine locomotive. I look forward to seeing more detail photos whenever you get the chance.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

No time to look now but I believe that this gent used to live near the Buffalo area in the late 20's and had a 1" scale NYC Mohawk and a nice ground layout to boot. Check out the early issues of Model Maker for this info.
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Ah Steve that's interesting! I'll take a look in the next few days. My collection of MM goes way back thanks to Dad and the Dick Thomas Estate. I'll need to see what I can find. I know the add is easily accessible from the Miniature loco mag and I'll post that up tonight.

Cheers,

Robert M.
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

While picking this engine up today I was also given a Matag 2 cylinder washing machine gas powered engine fully restored and operating . The guy rebuilds these by the boat load. He also has a mighty fine collection of stationary steam engines he has built. I tried to get the wife into an old Matag top loader but no chance. The engine also came with a compliment of 1" cars. Box, Gondola and a beautiful SP caboose. I will try to load some pics soon. Bob Sr.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

The 2-footer would have be 2.5" -12" scale.

That is still a fantastic scale and gauge, as long as you make the equipment really heavy.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I'm pretty sure the 2' engine was a 4 3/4" ga engine. There was an article on it in an early Live Steam, maybe even a cover pic?
Always admired it and the Mohawk, never knew he built this engine too.

Thanks for sharing
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Yep the 2-6-2 was 4.75" gauge as well. But to mimic the 2' proto type the scale would be around 2.5" to the foot. The loco still exists apparently and is located in LA. Location undisclosed and from what I understand the engine is partly dismantled. Hopefully someone will drag it out in the near future and bring it back to life.

~Robert M.
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Found the pics! I thought for sure I had one somewhere with Dick running the engine around the house in Bakersfield but I can't quite find it... Anyways, here's a few pics:

1st! The Resting place for the last 20 some odd years.....

Here's a closer look at the Loco:

Cab Shot:

And finally the pic from 1954 listing the newly out shopped loco for sale! I also have pics of the Maine 2-Footer that will come next.

Too Cool...

~Robert M.
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

And here's the 2-6-2 Loco!

On the cover of Live Steam 1969:

Article:

Drawing and Cab Shot:

Enjoy!

Robert M.
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

That's a great find Rob!! I love 1" Scale that's a charming little Ten wheeler, will be the eye catcher at the Small Scale Meet in the Summer. Now all we gotta see now is this beauty fired up!! Keep on Steamin' My Friend!!

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

rwmorris wrote:<snip>

And finally the pic from 1954 listing the newly out shopped loco for sale! I also have pics of the Maine 2-Footer that will come next.

Too Cool...

~Robert M.
Oh man, I can't stand it when prices aren't listed on the web and I have to email or call...I can't imagine having to write a letter just to find out what something cost. :mrgreen: