Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

WJH

Re: Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

Post by WJH »

It certainly is a very nice looking locomotive, nothing but complements from everyone.
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Thanks Bill. It really is a beautiful engine and very well built with Southern valve gear.
Bob.............
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Had another fun day at the track yesterday with this engine. Having a fuel problem but I think I've got it figured out . Ran until tank went dry
. I will have Rob post a video of it today since it is beyond my abilities. LOL
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Family reunion soon to be. Got an Email from Matt last night saying he had appropriated funds for this engine. So when I get back from TM I will box her up and get it sent back East. This should be a great reunion and to get it back into the family will be a great thing. This is the best part of my business. Now if I could find Vic Shattocks 3/4" SP engine my search would be complete. I ran the wheels off this engine in the 70's and 80's .
Bob
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Today was totally cool. Matt and his family made the family trip to Ca to spend 2 weeks sightseeing and visiting family. I made a deal with him to let him run this little jewel before shipping it back to New York. After spending 2 hours running it he still had that ear to ear grin on his face. He even gave his 2 sons Noah and Daniel a ride on it. Now I will crate her up and get her ready for shipment. It's so cool to know this is going back to family again. To think he saw this post on chaski first. Thank you Harold and CBrew for maintaining this great website.
Bob...
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Well the day has finally arrived after some delays. This little loco is packed and waiting for the trucking company within the next 3 hours to pick it up. Matt the new owner is as excited as I am about it going back to family again. Thanks to the girl (at the AT&T Store) who destroyed the only pictures I had of Matt running this engine at the GGLS track on Labor day last year. I'm sending pictures taken today to my son Rob to post since I still haven't mastered how to post them on this site yet. (USED TO BE ABLE TO ????) . It shows the engine ,tender and riding car straped in for the long trip. Have Fun Matt!!!!!!!
Bob.........
Last edited by Postwarbob on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Postwarbob wrote:While picking this engine up today I was also given a Matag 2 cylinder washing machine gas powered engine fully restored and operating.
Tearing down and rebuilding a kickstart Maytag 1 cylinder gasoline engine was my introduction to the mechanics of internal combustion engines.

Every mechanically inclined youngter should be issued some, old, single cylinder engine to play with, as soon as they are old enough to hold a wrench.

That's my $0.02, at least!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Pic:
Attachments
photo-79.JPG
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

rwmorris wrote:Pic:
Straped in ready for the voyage to New York`.Thanks to my son Rob for posting this photo
Matt Stolzenfels

Post by Matt Stolzenfels »

This is starting to get real!!!
I'm debating leaving the Christmas tree up so that I can open my present under the tree just like the kids.
Now I have to find a place to put it.
thanks to Bob and his son and the chaski forum for making this happen,
Matt
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Matt Stolzenfels wrote:Now I have to find a place to put it.
Matt
Hi Matt....my suggestion would be to put it back on the tracks!
There are lots of clubs here in the east and I'm sure at any of them there are kind folks that would be happy to help you get it back in steam. :)
Keith
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

[quote="Postwarbob"]Family reunion soon to be. Got an Email from Matt last night saying he had appropriated funds for this engine. So when I get back from TM I will box her up and get it sent back East. This should be a great reunion and to get it back into the family will be a great thing. This is the best part of my business. Now if I could find Vic Shattocks 3/4" SP engine my search would be complete. I ran the wheels off this engine in the 70's and 80's .
Bob...

The late GGLS member Henry Pass bought TWO locomotives from club founder Vic Shattock while I was out of the country in Vietnam. A beautiful 1/2-inch scale SP Mikado, Class MK-6, # 3254 and a stunning 3/4-inch scale SP Pacific, Class P-4, # 2422... He got them both for a total of only $ 1500.00 !! My grandfather was never any good with values... He sold two other Pacific-types in 1/2-inch scale: one for $ 300.00 and one for (are you ready guys) only $ 75.00 !!! (He was NUTS!!)

Henry Pass destroyed his two locomotives. He experimented with burning Kerosene on the alcohol-fired 3/4-inch job. He had a buddy melt the boiler apart on the Mikado using a full bore oxacetelene torch under the guise of trying to fix a pinhole leak in the smokebox. That was absolutely criminal!

I wanted to buy the 3/4 Pacific from Henry--but he wanted more than three times what he paid Vic for TWO engines, when the Grandson came home from Vietnam!

A "collector" came along out of the blue and purchased the Pacific for $ 7000.00 !!
He also has the 1/2-inch scale SP Dining Car in polished brass that the late GGLS member Harold Collins built.

In later years, Postwar Bob, used to "borrow" the Pacific from Henry Pass to run and display now and then.
Ken Shattock