Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

Re: Another piece of Live Steam History has been found.

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here's what I was looking for.
Attachments
Stozenfels NYC 0-6-0.jpg
Stozenfels, Berg.jpg
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Hey Steve,

What issue of Model Maker is that? I haven't had the chance this week to sift thru the collection.

Thanks,

Robert M.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

rwmorris wrote:Hey Steve,

What issue of Model Maker is that? I haven't had the chance this week to sift thru the collection.

Thanks,

Robert M.
That looks more like a page from the Model Craftsman magazine and not the Modelmaker

Keith
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Your right Keith. I'm surprised that the spell check on my computer didn't catch that slip! Still waiting for that magazine to get you the first page you need.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Steve Bratina wrote:Your right Keith. I'm surprised that the spell check on my computer didn't catch that slip! Still waiting for that magazine to get you the first page you need.
There is a lot of really great stuff in those old magazines.
And there must be a lot of fabulous models hidden away in attics and basements.

Keith
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Last year I went to visit a B&A 3/4" tank engine that sat in a basement on a bench for 51 years. The owner's grandson wanted to know what it was about and has decided to keep it on a shelf in his house.
Matt Stolzenfels

Post by Matt Stolzenfels »

Hi,
This post forced me to join this forum!
I was searching for information about the Niagara Frontier Live Steamers and somehow came across this post. Man oh man did my hair stand on end! I have some knowledge of the guy that built your new engine (never met him - sadly he died before I was born) but his brother was my Grandfather!!! Dick was born in Lasalle, NY (part of Niagara Falls area). He was a bit older than my grandfather but would take him to the yard in Niagara Falls to watch New York Central steam. I'm a bit surprised to see he had an engine painted for the Southern pacific. My grandfather loved the New York Central because Dick raised him on it. Then when he moved to California, he was an engineer on the Santa Fe over Tehachapi. Where did this S.P. thing come from??? My grandfather told me of one occasion in his brothers basement where they were air testing a locomotive on a bench, somehow the wheels came in contact with the table and headed to the floor pinning one of them. He laughed while telling the story so apparently the damage was not too bad. There was another story of him buying an engine from someone and pulling it home behind his car on a homemade skid across snow covered roads - don't think you could get away with that today.
I took my family to trainfestival in Rock Island this year and on the way home we stopped in Elkhart, In at the New York Central Museum. The 4 3/4" gauge live steam Mohawk on display inside was built by my great uncle as well. This was the first time I saw his work in person. WOW! I was amazed at the detail. I can't imagine the time he put into that locomotive.
I was told that he also built an 0-4-0 but have never seen any pictures of it. To be honest, I never knew your locomotive exsisted but now I will have to dig through the old family slides and see what I can come up with.
The sandy river engine appears to have been his pride and joy. That engine is what motivated me to model maine narrow gauge in g gauge (I will get into ride on one of these years). I have been searching for the #24 for a long time but can't find anything. I would love to see it. My grandfather said that Dick was working on building SR&RL #23 when he died. I don't know how much work was done and what ever happened to it.
Anyway sorry for the long first post but this really made my day! (and sorry if this was hard to understand - my fingers aren't working as fast as my excited brain)
please keep the pictures of it coming!
thanks for sharing,
Matt Stolzenfels
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Welcome Matt! oh-oh, was that a pun?

Still the remebered history of items found or extant, is always of interest here. Often the only way to get any history on pieces that have changed hands soeveral times. Often their construction methods reflect the times, and builders skills.

I speak for no other, and dont know of this particular work, but your input is always welcome.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Matt:

I knew your great uncle and spent some pleasurable Sunday afternoons at his corner house in Bakersfield, running the #24. Dick was a wonderful person and a most gracious host. I took slides and movies of these events.
I too ran across the NYC 4-8-2 that he built when I visited the NYC museum. One of the people there started to explain to me about the locomotive and I told them that they did not have to because I knew the builder, at which point they quizzed me.
I’ve always wondered what happened to the #24. It was a beautiful locomotive.

Jim Kreider
Matt Stolzenfels

Post by Matt Stolzenfels »

Hi Jim,
Its great to hear more stories about my family. I was just looking at my grandfather's slides from his visit to California. He took plenty of shots of #24 (have not run across any of his other locomotives yet). One of these days I will have to convert his movies to dvd and post to youtube. When you saw the locomotive in Elkhart did you happen to mention they spelled his name wrong on the paper above the display case?!? My father did but I don't think they really cared.
It would be great to see #24 as well as any other locomotives he built. I contacted LALS but never got a response back from them.
Is it true that he was friends with Walt Disney? My grandfather mentioned he did work on his backyard railroad and even had golden passes to Disney. I now have tons of questions for my grandfather but he passed in 2009 so any help from those that knew of my great uncle would be great!
thanks,
Matt
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the Forum! The little 4-6-0 was originally lettered as "MONON" on the tender.

http://www.monon.org/history.html

I'm not sure if it was exact to a certain proto type from this railroad or not? The last owner of the engine switched the lettering over to S.P. during his rebuild of the engine.

The #24 still exists somewhere in L.A. Apparently it has been slightly disassembled. Hopefully someone will rescue it in the future!

Cheers,

Robert M.
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Took this little beauty to the GGLS track yesterday. Gave it a boiler test (Passed with flying colors) and fixed a bunch of leaks on piping . Lit the fire and within 10 minutes had a full head of steam and away I went. First time in over 20 years this engine had been back on these tracks. Ran low on fuel so only made a short pass. I will now reassemble for next session and do some photo runs for FB. Next run will be for alot longer running too. Love 1" . Thats what I started in this fun hobby with and if I ever get time I will run my little 2-4-0 again. Still need to finish tender that Rob started years ago ????