George Murray

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

George Murray

Post by LVRR2095 »

I recently heard from the new owner of the late George Murray's home in Connecticut. George was a pioneer live steamer and in 1950 and 1951 he published the first all live steam magazine in the United States. The Live Steamer was a great little publication that unfortunately only lasted two years.
I scanned a few photos of George and his elevated track next to his home for the new owners. I thought some of the folks on this list might also enjoy seeing a small sampling of George's prodigious output.

Keith
Attachments
scan0019.jpg
scan0014.jpg
scan0009.jpg
steamingdon

Re: George Murray

Post by steamingdon »

Hi Keith,

I only met George Murray once very late in his life and he was in tough shape at that time. I stopped by his house after his death and talked with a guy by the name Bill Peterson. My wife`s Grandmother lived next to his Mother on Glenwood St. just off of School St. in Manchester, that`s where I grew up. I often wonder what became of his locomotive and shop? Maybe still in the house on School St.? I don`t think George was ever married? and I might have met his sister Ruth maybe? That was a long time ago and I can`t remember what I had for dinner two nights ago,so that`s all I know of George Murray from Manchester Ct. I met George At PVLS around 1993

CRS Don. :) :) :) :)
steamer
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Hi Don, all of the George's locomotives were sold after his death. Ruth was his wife and her sister Esther also lived in that house. Over the years George had just under 100 locomotives pass through his shop. Some like his Maisie (which now lives here with us in Maine) and the 999 he built entirely. Some he finished from basket cases brought to him. And some just received his magic touch with valve gears to bring to life.
George had an affinity for smaller gauges and he built live steam locomotives in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" scales. He rebuilt a few in 1" scale but I only know of one engine that he started in 7 - 1/4" gauge, which was later finished by Carl Purinton. (A Tich)
Keith
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

A couple more George Murray pictures.
Keith
Attachments
George Murray
George Murray
George Murray and his Jeannie Deans Webb Compound
George Murray and his Jeannie Deans Webb Compound
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

I was reading an article by Lester Friend in "The Miniature Locomotive", May-June 1953. Lester is talking about how to time Baker valve gear, and suggests reading George Murray's LIVE STEAM BOOK. Does anyone know about this book?

Daris
IBLS webmaster
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

George Murray never wrote a book. He did publish a small magazine called The Live Steamer for two years.
The Live Steam Book was written by LBSC (Lillian Lawrence) which was later re-published as "Shops, Shed and Road."
Keith
Attachments
George Murray at his Manchester, Connecticut home.
George Murray at his Manchester, Connecticut home.
kathyl

Post by kathyl »

George was my great uncle and Bill Peterson was my brother. When George and subsequently my brother passed I inherited all his old copies of his newsletter, a partial train, misc parts and a couple train boxes as well as completed and functional "ANNE" and two flat cars. I have a dear friend that is a machinist and he intends to complete the unfinished train for me, eventually.

He was a colorful character. Corresponding all over the world on the topic of live steamers.

I have been toying with the possibility of parting with ANNE but was not sure the particulars of the train. I believe I still have some blue prints so I am sure that will be useful.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to proceed valuing and marketing his last completed train?
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

The best thing that could happen to the engine is that it goes to someone who knows how to OPERATE IT and how to LOOK AFTER IT. The best method I have ever seen at getting this accomplished is to load it up into the trunk of your car, drive down to one of the active high line clubs in your area and ask someone to see if they can get it to run for you. Then work out a price right then and there. This is how "Sparky"the B&O Pacific came back to life one day down at the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers track. It now is looked after lovingly by 10 Wheeler Rob and is brought around and ran at other meets for live steamers to enjoy.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

KathyL;
I've sent a private message to you via this list.

Keith