Welcoming

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

willjordan

Welcoming

Post by willjordan »

A comment on another thread mentioning a $4000 part got my mind wandering a bit about the way we welcome others to this hobby.

When I moved to this area in 2001, I visited 2 clubs. I visited the first, a well established club, and found that there was little welcome for someone who didn't come with a locomotive. (I don't know whether a big locomotive would have rated a warm welcome.) I tried several visits to that club; while I have corresponded with others in the club, there really was no on-site welcome.

Of course all of my experience was at another club, and it might be that serving as a director, project leader, work party organizer, and just long hours of work is not as valuable to a club as owning a locomotive.

I showed up at another club and found myself quite welcome. So you can guess which club I joined. I have no idea about whether I just never made the right connections at the first club or whether the club just has no interest in new workers. I say workers rather than members because that is how I approach a club. I normally turn out for about 3-4 work days for every run day.

Of course another factor that is not in my favor is that I'm much more willing to show up on Saturday than on Sunday. I'm one of those who actually goes to church with some regularity. I have been known to skip church for special needs (I attened a concrete pour at SVLS yesterday.) but as a rule, you can count on me for at least one Saturday a month and more likely more if there is a specific need.

I still don't have a locomotive; I do have an increasingly impressive collection of parts, and now am in the early stages of making swarf. I have a pile of electrical parts that I hope to convert to a small electric locomotive to use until such time as my partner and I can get our steam locomotive running.

I find myself regularly volunteering at one club, helping to get another club started, and now volunteering some at a railroad historic site. I have more time than money and I'm a hard worker. So I haven't gone back to visit the first club.

What are your thoughts on welcoming.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
Allen_from_CHT

Re: Welcoming

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

I belong to a couple clubs who's members don't have the best social skills, they are nice people, but tend to wait for others to make the first move.Some people are just kinda shy around strangers, I guess. My MiL visited one once, and was upset that everyone didn't stop what they were doing and lavish attention on her because she was a visitor - the best I can describe it is they treat you like REAL family - (Sure we're glad you came, shut the damn door, go ahead help yourself, and you know where we keep the glasses.)

I've visited other clubs who claimed to want new members only to treat them like "Steppanfetchits" - regularly assigning them the crummiest jobs like toilets, trash and ballast.

And yes, there is one club in Pa that has gained a reputation for being a cliche of standoffish old farts who want left alone to play with their toys.

Of those three, I kinda prefer the first.
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Will:

It turns out that you and I have a lot more in common
than just a pile of rough cast iron parts purchased
from some guy in Nevada.

I got a rather distressing e-mail yesterday from a live
steam supplier that said he did not like me using his
comments to answer a 10 year old kid on the message board.
I have since retracted his comments from the post and all
of his advertising on all of my web pages.

I was not aware there was an age limit on this hobby
and if there is, someone please let me know, and I will
find the exit. I know a lot of good people working real
hard right now to make the hobby more reachable to the
newcomer. And although I will agree that a 10 year old
will probably not spend a nickel at any vendor's booth,
isn't he the future of the hobby? I was 10 once. Guess
what? I bought a locomotive kit.

Will, am I missing something here, or is there something
about live steam someone didn't tell me?

Bill
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Was that kit a livesteam, or what??
Patrik
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Patrik:

That is not important. What is important is that
it is OK for you to ask as many questions as you
need to on this post. As you have found, there are
many good people who will take the time to answer
your questions.

It is hard to make money in Live Steam, and many
that are trying to don't have much spare time. It
is hard for them to answer their business mail and
answer questions. So it is better to ask your
questions on the message board, and don't e-mail
the suppliers unless you want to order something.

I know they are busy, so I don't blame them for not
wanting more work. At the same time, I can't give
them free advertising if they have forgotten what
this hobby is all about.

I hope you like the Live Steam post. I hope you are
learning a lot. I hope you do well in school,
especially in math, since you will need that if you
ever plan to design your own equipment.

Bill
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Will,
I belong to is a private club. The club ownes the property on which the track is located. While live steamers and railroad enthusiasts are welcome to come in and look around, the general public is not welcome. Our club is not a "kiddieland"...we do not exist for the purpose of entertaining the public. If visitors want entertainment, they are welcome to join the club, pay their share of dues and perhaps more importantly...share the responsibility of maintaining the club property and club facilities. I will set aside my time if I'm not busy to share my experiences and knowledge to someone that is truly interested, but if all they want is "can you give my kids a ride", a likely (and sarcastic response might include) "sure...climb on...and afterwards can I come over and swim in your pool...how about I get some steaks from your freezer and throw them on the grill...etc." Show an interest and get involved. Lots of club members might not give newcomers the time of day until they know what kind of person they are or try to figure out what that person is really interested in. Isn't this all about personalities?

I find people joining our club lately and informing the board that they expect equipment delivered in a couple weeks, can they have storage space? Our club does not charge for storage space. It may have too. Many years ago we had a special assessment to gather funds to build a new enginehouse. That fee has long been dropped. The engine house is almost full now. So here's somebody new to the hobby, new to the club, shows up at the front gate expecting the red carpet to be rolled out and provides no indication of giving something back to the organization. You don't get something for nothing and paying dues is not the only part of being a club member. I pay my dues too. Grass doesn't cut itself and tracks don't get built/installed by themselves and the ballast dosen't magically get on the track either. Granted, some members have more time or a schedule that allows more involvement. Some members have physical limitations. BUT, every club member needs to find some way to contribute to the organization. "90% of the work is done by 10% of the members" (yeah, and that's on a good day) is mentioned time and time again. But it doesn't have to be that way. I take great pride in my accomplishments and the services I offer my club. Along the way, I have learned what works, what doesn't work and at the "best value" for the club dollars. I don't expect everyone to contribute at the same level as I do. I feel I get more in return in the form of enjoyment than what this hobby costs me. Heck, we have "high dues" and I would gladly pay double that to maintain my interest in a private 7 acre railroad park...or pay for storage space if necessary. I GET ALL THAT MONEY BACK! If a new member expresses real interest, tries to participate and help...I'll reciprocate. For those that go out to the track, fire up their loco, make a few laps, and go then home...this is not being part of a club. You can tell this tends to raise the hair on the back of my neck and I have approached the club board about this. Not to shut out the newcomers, but slow them down before the bubble bursts before its a 95%...5%.

As for junior members, their funds may be limited, but sometimes their interest and curiosity exceeds that of the old timers. We have a junior member (now 20'ish). This young man is an excellent resource of information on steam loco design, operation, etc. I'd sure like to know where he finds the time to get down the level of detail he has. Heck...he's been running his dads steam locos for 10 years. He's got a good head on his shoulders and good manners. He's a pleasure to go railroading with.

As long as there is at least one or two members in the club that are willing to share their time and their equipment, newcomers need not be afraid of walking in the front gate. They need to have a thick skin though, tolerate the usually kidding around, make an effort to get involved and realize that this hobby is not about toy trains and giving rides. This hobby is a craft, an art, but nothing that a newcomer can't strive for by getting some machines and scrap metal. This hobby needs to be taken seriously though with the realization that safety is of the absolute importance.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box. Next? cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
davestea

Post by davestea »

Gentlemen -

You ALL make very good and valid comments as well as complaints.

But, you are not exclusive -

I used to belong to model boat racing clubs. I was in my early 20's. One day a master machinist tool and die maker whom I admired, respected, and like, told me one day (when I was asking questions about what he was expounding on at the time - probably reporting Rosi model aircraft engines for running on a tuned pipe). He told me I didn't need to know (what I had asked about) because I didn't run power boats or have a machine shop. No, but this kid was interested in what he had to say enough to ask intelligent questions because I admired him and his knowledge - hey I am still a very inquisitive kid at 58! My brain is a sponge - always has been.

Well boat clubs do the same - old farts who only want to run there power toy boats and others who welcome and even encourage the kids to get into the hobby.

So don't feel to special about it - it is a pretty universal trait I think. And I am one of the worker bees too.

Glad to hear you guys on the board -
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Your absolutly right, it doesn't matter.

I think younger that study and don't work have harder to get money (if the parents support you) my parents doesn't suport me...yet. I worked at my fathers company last summer an got money, but then i wasn't with my friends, I worked fom 8 o' clock to about 10-11 in the night. Hard work but fun.
Patrik
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

We have a 7 year old kid in our club. He started coming out when he was 6. He has is own shovel and tools and is willing to do any thing that we will let him do. And don't be surprised if you come to our track, and we assign him to give you track orientation ride. And trust me he will set you straight. One of our members gave him a set of old trucks (after he fixed them) so he could get a riding car of his own. He has another 80 years plus in the hobby. What an investment.

I think we are a friendly club but I know of one or two people that have come out and got a bad first impression. So how there over at that club that I got a bad first impression from. Trust me when I am in the grove and working on something I really don’t what to stop to answer questions. I cannot explain why I do things a curtain way but I know that it will work. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Bill_Gardei

Re: Welcoming (OT photo)

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Patrik:

When I was 10 I didn't have a nickel. It didn't
stop me from wanting to learn. As long as you have
parents that want you to be successful you will be
fine. Here's a photo of me when I was 12 with my
dad.

This was my first race car. I built it myself, mostly
out of junk. The Phoenix Jaycees did provide the wheels
and axles which were paid for by my sponsor (King's
Department Store).

Bill
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Here is onme thing that I have done at my dad's company, it's totaly from scratch. Do you know whats funny. a few years ago i built my own "kick board" then a half year later the kick board begun to be popular, and the stores sold many kick board. And i remember nearly ever 1-4 grader at my school had a kick board. And as my al other home built stuff, i always say, why does everybode have to take my ideas/ inventions.
Patrik
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Patrick,
Hang in there...don't give up! I started working when I was about 10 years old for some friends of my parents. I would spend 8 hours on occasinaly Saturdays removing diodes and transistors from electronic circuit boards because those components were sometimes hard to get (this was long before integrated circuit chips). For my services, I was paid $1.25 an hour out of the petty cash drawer since I was too young to be put on the payroll (no taxes either)! The boss took me out for lunch too. After some time though, that $10 didn't go far enough to cover the model trains, model airplanes, model race cars, model rockets, etc. I gave most of that other stuff up and hung tight to the trains. There was just something about those trains that intrigued me. I even worked for the railroad a few years here in the states when I got out of school.

If you ever run into some "old fart" that doesn't want to share the time of day with you, find somebody else...DON'T GIVE UP! You will find someone who is more than willing to spend some time with you, show and explain how things work. It's not only fun to learn, it's fun to share too...and some of us get a kick watching a youngster with a smile from ear to ear grab a throttle and go (with supervision). After that when someone asks what you did recently, you can say... YOU RAN A TRAIN. Some people just don't get it. Oh yeah, this hobby is neat....and there's something in it for everyone. Happy railroading! cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!