Valve handles/wheels

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RichD

Valve handles/wheels

Post by RichD »

I didn't want to butt in on Mikes RP thread.
An alternative, if you are so inclined and have the resources is CNC.
Once a 2D or 3D CAD drawing is created, a CAM program creates the machine control
instructions. With a little thought and enginuity, many shapes and styles are possible.
All of the 2 dozen or so of my wheels are just 2D using typically 3 tool cutters.
The depth of cut creates the 3rd dimension. Part off the wheel blank, clean up and
there you go. Additional features may be added with the lathe.
Making these types of parts are absolute fun machining projects.
See the attached pics.
Machines I have used to make valve handwheels are Sherline 5400 CNC mill, Dyna Myte 2400
and various full size machining centers.
Your imagination is you best tool.
Copywrites are mine, free to use non-comm.
Cheers, RichD
Attachments
WrenValveWheels.JPG
WoodWheel-3.JPG
WoodWheel-4.JPG
Happy Rails !
RichD
Colorado Midland Ry Ten Wheeler U/C
Kerr Stuart Wren NG 0-4-0 U/C
www.csppry.org
Imagination is your best tool.
Ironflyer

Re: Valve handles/wheels

Post by Ironflyer »

Nice stuff Rich, good thought,
Paul
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Very nice. What is the outer wheel made out of? plastic or wood or a composite? Looks great.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

The water glass base and the valve handle with the phenolic rim are both most excellent! We would love to see more of your fine work.
Jack
RichD

Post by RichD »

Hey Jack, thanks for the compliment.
Mike, Jack knows his stuff. An old material not seen much these days is hard fiber phenolic.
Comes in sheet form and various fabric densities. The advent of glass epoxy FR4 (G10) pretty
much killed it off for electrical insulation, panel boards, etc. However, it does have it's uses!
That's my version of a "cool" wheel copied from a past master Art Olds of Pensacola, Fl.
BTW, in the background you see a THREE sided water gauge fitting. CNC makes quick work of
odd sided hard to hold designs. All the little corner radiuses an even edge chamfering.
Too much fun, eh?
RichD
Attachments
WoodWheel-2.JPG
WoodWheel-1.JPG
Happy Rails !
RichD
Colorado Midland Ry Ten Wheeler U/C
Kerr Stuart Wren NG 0-4-0 U/C
www.csppry.org
Imagination is your best tool.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I thought the material looked familiar but I just couldn't place it. Now the name comes back. We have some of that stuff kicking around at work, we use it occasionally for some things.

Thanks for all the extra added detail.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Harlock wrote:I thought the material looked familiar but I just couldn't place it. Now the name comes back. We have some of that stuff kicking around at work, we use it occasionally for some things.
Comes two ways of which I'm aware. One is linen based, the other paper based. Both are nice to machine, although somewhat dusty.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

On heavy class C bridge cranes the control boards are black slate for mounting heavy electrics. We used the cloth based stuff to make mods or add ons. Much easier to work with than slate, and build things on the bench for cranes that operate 24-7.

It is a diferent story for lighter duty series A and B Warehouse cranes, much cheaper design parameters.

This material is used for many of the electric projects, form only 3/16 to about 3/4 inch thick. It machines well, even on a mill without shreading.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.