Progress on my Little Engines "C.P. Huntington"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

c.p.huntington

Progress on my Little Engines "C.P. Huntington"

Post by c.p.huntington »

I've been asked from time to time how I am coming on my Little Engines "C.P. Huntington". As you
can see from the photo it's slowly coming together bit by bit. I hope do a test run by filling the
boiler with compressed air in a few more months.

Are there any other C.P. Huntingtons out there? I saw one out at the Riverside track years ago
and another at the Orange County Model Engineers, also many years ago.

I've added my locomotive to the Southern California Live Steamers' locomotive registry and may
add more as the construction progresses. Check out the SCLS locomotive registry at:
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteame ... gistry.asp
Attachments
CPHuntington.jpg
Dwight Ennis

Re: Progress on my Little Engines "C.P. Huntington"

Post by Dwight Ennis »

Looking good. Interesting locomotive.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

A CPH was built by Paul Craft in Columbia TN back in the early 1960s, followed by a LE Pacific. I have no idea what happened to either locomotive.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Francis Moseley built one but never steamed it. Peter and I are considering firing it up some day to see if it will pull its own shadow around the track. :) It is currently on display in a guest room.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

Harlock wrote:see if it will pull its own shadow
Powered boxcar. That's what we use in N Scale! :-)
uncle jerd

Post by uncle jerd »

Leo Myers had a nice one he used to bring to the track in Columbia, TN. He was a great old guy.

Ken
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Cute!

You might benefit by putting additional weight where it will bear on the drivers and make sure the suspension keeps as much of the locomotive's weight on the drivers as you can. Assuming the cylinders are of a reasonable size, it's the weight on the drivers that will affect the tractive effort, not the number of drivers.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I don't remeber Paul Craft building a 4-2-4. I remember that he built a small 4-4-0, maybe from a little engines design. that was the small locomotive he had when I went over to his house one time. That was back in the early 1980s.

I do remember Leo's 4-2-4, and the beautiful small train that he pulled around with it at Maury County Park. He had a series of lead-filled weights that he would sit on the locomotive at 3 or 4 different locations right before he would head out onto the track. I hear that his locomotive is on display somewhere in downtown St. Louis.

Keep posting pictures of your progress! It's looking good. Is that a steel boiler on your CPH? If so, that should help give it more weight on the drivers. All of the ones I've ever seen had a copper boiler on them.

I have heard that Paul's widow still has the PS4 Pacific. I don't know what else she has or has sold, or even if it is true or not.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

What ever happened to your C.P. Huntington Project? It's been over 5 years, was wondering if she ever got to run.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

A little bit of LE C.P. Huntington trivia.....

Has anyone ever watched the musical, "The King and I"? I'm talking the classic 1950s version starring Yul Brenner and Deborah Kerr..... all the others are crap. In the King's study, den, or whatever you want to call it, you will see the original LE C.P. Huntington that Irene supplied to the production. The engine is displayed in one of the wall bookshelves and can be seen in a couple of scenes.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

LL
Here is a picture of one in 7 1/4 really rare. This one was built by Joe Monte
Attachments
Picture 347.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That's pretty. Leo always rode behind his 4-2-4 on a box car. It was one of those LE cast aluminum boxcars that I don't think have been available in quite a few years. Mike V would have to let us know that. Anyway, I liked that idea, so when I got my Chloe up and running, I built a boxcar to operate and ride on. I saw Leo operating that locomotive quite a few times when I was a kid. Don't think I ever got any pics of it, though. The train was small, light, and extremely well detailed. All of the brake wheels actually actuated the brake shoes! At least it did on the caboose.